DIY Maintenance Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would also recommend knowing the coast of your dealer doing an oil change for you at WatertownFordChrysler labor is under $10 and thy check every thing out for you so at that price I bring it to them.

Last edited:

nold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when you put an oil on the new oil filter its messy, is it ok not to put an oil on the oil filter?

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
when you put an oil on the new oil filter its messy, is it ok not to put an oil on the oil filter?

It helps it get a better seal. Whenever I change oil, I always wear either latex or rubber gloves. Once you have the oil drained and the old filter out just dip your gloved finger into some of the old oil and rub it around the rubber seal on the new filter. This ensures a tight seal with no leaks. And it's not messy at all.

nold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It helps it get a better seal. Whenever I change oil, I always wear either latex or rubber gloves. Once you have the oil drained and the old filter out just dip your gloved finger into some of the old oil and rub it around the rubber seal on the new filter. This ensures a tight seal with no leaks. And it's not messy at all.

sorry i meant filling the new oil filter with oil as opposed to dabbing oil onto it.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
just enuff to wet the paper is good it don't need to be full or so full it runs down your leg altho it'd make her happy

OP
OP
Humvee21

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
sorry i meant filling the new oil filter with oil as opposed to dabbing oil onto it.

You can get it about 1/4 full without making a mess when installing it. Put as much as you can, but do not exceed 1/2 way. Good luck

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Might seem obvious and common sense, but make sure you check the new filter for leaks with the engine running prior to reinstalling the skid plate or access panel.

OP
OP
Humvee21

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will post a video later on how to replenish the windshield washer fluid.

Saints, did you ever get to doing this?

Hoping to get something going on this thread... It would be helpful for a lot of us.