Changed Front Diff Fluid Today!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you have a list of parts needed? Hose size? Any special fittings?

Sorry I do not hav a part Number but hat I did was take the hose off went to the auto parts store and told them I need that same hose but a lot longer and they came out with a big roll and said "tell me when to stop!" Haha

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, local shop near my I trust says that his book calls for full removal of the axle or diff or something that takes 5 hours! I am not paying 5 hours of labor to do this. I'm more than willing to try it myself, but has anyone gone to a shop for this work?

Thanks in advance,

Todd

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Guys, local shop near my I trust says that his book calls for full removal of the axle or diff or something that takes 5 hours! I am not paying 5 hours of labor to do this. I'm more than willing to try it myself, but has anyone gone to a shop for this work?

Thanks in advance,

Todd

Uh no. You have to remove the front and rear diff covers, drain fluid, refill. Front cover is a little tricky to slide off, but it will come off without any other removal of parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm thinking I'm just going to do the diffs and the transfer case myself, and have them flush it.

Jack, what fluid did you go with, Royal Purple or Amsoil? I need like 18 quarts for the flush, and damn that RP is expensive!

OP
OP
TargetBow

TargetBow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought this would be fairly easy but once I unbolted the front cover and let the fluid drain out, I was unable to remove the cover from the vehicle. I spent hours trying to get it past the steering parts located in front of the front diff. I tried jacking up the vehicle, lowering the vehicle but all efforts were worthless. The cover would move but would get stuck between the steering parts and the ring gear, it would try to wedge itself in between the two.:mad3:
Finally I stopped trying to get it off and just cleaned it up the best I could and put silicone on the mating surface and bolted everything back up and put Amsoil Severe Gear® 75W-140 in the diff per Chris's recommendation.

The next time I want to change the front diff fluid I will take it to the :worthy: dealer unless someone on this forum has any pointers for me.

I looked on the forum for answers by searching but the only thread I could find was this one.http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f7/1500-mile-break-service-13373/
which said it was possible to get off, but I just couldn't get it.

The only water the vehicle ever sees is on the road on rainy days, I never had it in deep water and still have the same issue with factory fluid looking milky and grayish.

sdbdom0t3msvfr35qsnp.jpg

And

Took the raptor to the dealer to have the front diff fluid changed on 4 Dec 2015 and they spent about 2.5 hours on it.
I told the service tech that I brought it in thinking that they new an easy way to remove the cover from the vehicle once it was unbolted but they did not.
They said that they ended up dropping the axle assembly slightly in order to remove the cover. I asked if this procedure is in the service manual instructions which I can't find, and they said yes. The tech did ask other techs if there was an easier way but they did not no of any. I just hope they knew what they were doing and I don't have any issues with the axle assembly now.

Last edited:

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Took the raptor to the dealer to have the front diff fluid changed on 4 Dec 2015 and they spent about 2.5 hours on it.
I told the service tech that I brought it in thinking that they new an easy way to remove the cover from the vehicle once it was unbolted but they did not.
They said that they ended up dropping the axle assembly slightly in order to remove the cover. I asked if this procedure is in the service manual instructions which I can't find, and they said yes. The tech did ask other techs if there was an easier way but they did not no of any. I just hope they knew what they were doing and I don't have any issues with the axle assembly now.

I cannot believe that a Ford Service guy wouldn't know anymore than the rest of us. You don't have to drop the axle to change the oil. I did mine for the first time EVER after a run this last spring and it took me about 45 minutes. With the truck sitting on the ground. Longest part of the whole process was waiting for all the old oil to drain out and then pumping the new oil in. Ford Service has all the cool tools and oil pumps and lifts and, well all that cool stuff. I think you paid way too much for the service, but hey, lesson learned.......

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did my front, rear and TC not long ago. On an '11 w/o the Torsen front the cover will hit you in the head if you don't catch it will removing the last bolt it's that easy. By the way, Royal Purple in the diffs has the truck feeling looser overall with less drag.

OP
OP
TargetBow

TargetBow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, lesson learned!! I did it the first time myself but was unable to get the cover completely out of the vehicle which made it hard for me to clean all the silicone off the surfaces and thought I would see if the dealer could remove cover easily from the vehicle after it was unbolted so I could learn the secret of removing it easily, but they couldn't remove it without the extra work involved. I'm not sure how everyone else is getting their's out of the vehicle. Any input with help would be appreciated for future fluid changes on the front diff.
Thanks