Cannot get top guide pin out rear brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98infinity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cannot for the life of me get the top guide pin out of the top of the rear caliper. The one with the damper on it. I put open 10mm on it and it just rounds the bolt...and yes its a 10mm. Any ideas?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Soak it in penetrating fluid or rust buster over night, sounds like you'll need a new bolt

D

Deleted member 12951

Does the pin move? I had an issue where it didn't move at all and was seized in the hole. We tried to get it out but just ended up breaking the head off and just looked at each other and said, shit!

We ended up drilling it out and at the time, I was a way from my home and needed to drive back. We made a pin out of a long bolt that we cut the threads off and got me down the road. Later I replaced all of them. The kit with 2 and grease from the dealership was only about $18.

OP
OP

98infinity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it will move, the bottom pin comes out without issue. 10 mm wrenches keep rounding the bolt...

OP
OP

98infinity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most frustrating thing I've ever done there is no way to get this thing out...I've tried everything

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
they make extractor sockets for rounded bolts, i think the part of the slide with the hex is like 15mm or 17mm though, and the caliper bolt is 10mm.

i clamped vise grips on the hex part of the slide and used an air chisel to drive the pin out. both the upper ones on the rear were seized on my truck. its best to try to get the slide pin turning, and then start hammering it out.

OP
OP

98infinity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they make extractor sockets for rounded bolts, i think the part of the slide with the hex is like 15mm or 17mm though, and the caliper bolt is 10mm.

i clamped vise grips on the hex part of the slide and used an air chisel to drive the pin out. both the upper ones on the rear were seized on my truck. its best to try to get the slide pin turning, and then start hammering it out.

Won't that strip the caliper and/or the bracket?

Tried the vice grip and bfh...need to look up the extractor sockets. How do you get the vibration damper thing off?

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Won't that strip the caliper and/or the bracket?

Tried the vice grip and bfh...need to look up the extractor sockets. How do you get the vibration damper thing off?

im confused about this vibration damper you speak of.. the little rubber piece on the slide pin?

Take the two 10mm bolts off, and the caliper should come off the bracket after you compress the piston a bit. Now the caliper mounting bracket is still attached to the truck and your slide pins will still be in the bracket, right?

this is where I would try to turn the slide pins with a wrench to try to break the rusted parts free.. then vise grip the head of the slide pin and bfh it out of there.

i have something similar to this: http://www.sears.com/search=turbo sockets

Last edited:
OP
OP

98infinity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im confused about this vibration damper you speak of.. the little rubber piece on the slide pin?

Take the two 10mm bolts off, and the caliper should come off the bracket after you compress the piston a bit. Now the caliper mounting bracket is still attached to the truck and your slide pins will still be in the bracket, right?

this is where I would try to turn the slide pins with a wrench to try to break the rusted parts free.. then vise grip the head of the slide pin and bfh it out of there.

i have something similar to this: Sears.com

Rear brakes, the thing on the left is the vibration damper, just to the right of.that is the bolt head it's 10 mm

Attachments

• DSC_0341.jpg
    DSC_0341.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 60