Brake on ice/snow = rattling/noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shwiggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was hoping someone could help me figure this out...

Whenever it snows or is cold enough to turn puddles into ice, I've noticed that when I brake on these snow/ice patches that I get this loud, rattling/grinding noise in my front end. I can feel it in my brake peddle and it vibrates the hell out of it.

Now this doesn't happen EVERY single time and you're probably thinking, "slow the **** down idiot!". Problem is, I've had this happen while going 5 mph as I pull into my neighborhood and even when backing up into my parking spot. I just hit that ice patch or snow patch and then I get the loud ass noise up front.

I've asked a few people and looked up online and have seen that it could be my ABS kicking in but my question is, is this normal for it to be kicking in when going so slow over this stuff?

I've also had issues with my truck with brake squeal right after purchase and have taken it into the dealership multiple times for maintenance. The last time they machine cleaned the pads because I noticed a chirping/screech sound while going through a drive through. Since then the squeal has almost nearly vanished. I'm just not sure if this is related or what. Maybe I have bad brakes?

Any thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated. I hope I'm just being paranoid and this is something normal with the truck being so heavy and just sliding easier over ice and slick snow which activates the ABS like that.

I also have the noise on my dashcam video, I'll try to see if I can't upload a clip when I get home tonight.

Thanks in advance

-Shwiggy

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd almost guarantee its your ABS. Speed doesn't matter, if it senses your brakes are locked and shouldn't be, it'll do it.

OP
OP
Shwiggy

Shwiggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never been in another car that's done that but it's nice to hear that it's normal.

Thanks for the responses

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As others have said... completely normal.

ABS is activating and keeping your wheels from locking up.

155mm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the ABS. It doesn't really matter how fast you're going when you hit the brakes, it's how fast you're trying to decelerate. If you try to slow down faster than the tires can grip, they'll start sliding.

Magnum PI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sound like abs. But I do have a questions. Does it happen only when it's cold outside? Doesn't matter if there's snow, ice or not. Have you had the front wheels of your truck submerged in deep water to the point that water would be above you breaks. If yes I had this problem. Let me know.