Been using wrong PS Fluid!

• Thread starter Deleted member 12951
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

A while back, I stopped at my closest dealership to buy a couple quarts of Power Steering fluid (ATF) and stupidly trusted what the parts department sold me when I told them that I have a 14' Raptor at the time.

To this date, never though much of it and been using what I purchased to top off my PS and when the RPG/Reservoir was installed. I am now looking at flushing the whole system and to my amazement, I was sold MERCON V.

Looking in the owners manual, it clearly states that it should be MERCON LV and the recent dealership (different one), quoted XT-10-QLVC too.

So I've been mixing MERCON V with what has been in it from factory, which I have to assume is MERCON LV. The fluid does have a mild burnt smell in my opinion, hence why I want to flush it.

What damage have I caused by doing this?

And for anyone wondering, I did do some searching and found a thread where Pat talked about it but the post has mixed opinions.
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f7/question-about-power-steering-fluid-41662/

Here is a screenshot from the manual so why would anyone recommend MERCON V?

Attachments

• PS-ATF.JPG
    PS-ATF.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 138

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You'll be alright. Funny part is our Amsoil recommendations are V for 10-13 but LV for 14. That's not the first time I've seen conflicting info, it also shows different gear oil for the front dif between model years. LV has a lower viscosity. Six one way half a dozen the other. Chris runs actual PS fluid.

I run the Mercon V equivalent of Amsoil.

freedommotorsports.us

Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah PS fluid spec is model year specific, '10 requires V rather than LV as per the manual.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
You'll be alright. Funny part is our Amsoil recommendations are V for 10-13 but LV for 14. That's not the first time I've seen conflicting info, it also shows different gear oil for the front dif between model years. LV has a lower viscosity. Six one way half a dozen the other. Chris runs actual PS fluid.

I run the Mercon V equivalent of Amsoil.

I have been running V myself but I have a '13 so LV may be a '14 only specific?

I have been wanting to follow up with Chris over his actual PS fluid... how is that going for him... do you know?

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have been running V myself but I have a '13 so LV may be a '14 only specific?

I have been wanting to follow up with Chris over his actual PS fluid... how is that going for him... do you know?

I haven't discussed it with him but I don't know of any issues. I'm also not sure if he is running it in his new truck.

That's what I'm wondering. Cause I'm pretty sure the 12 manual says Mercon V
@Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:
Run Raptor Run | Great Lakes Raptor Excursions (GLRE)

I'm not sure I can see much benefit to switching other than only needing to use LV for everything.