Bad AC compressor bearings with only 86k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TuFerLife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried doing some research but couldn't really find much on people replacing their AC compressors on their raptors yet.

Well last Saturday I started hearing a ticking under my hood followed by a burning smell. Got my mechanic to look at it Sunday who said he was surprised I even made it down to his shop. Said he could tell the bearings inside my AC compressor burnt up and I needed a new compressor...

I should have it back on Sunday and maybe he can clarify what happened. But I'm nervous that there might be an underlying problem because bearings shouldn't go bad on that thing with less than 100k miles...

Any thoughts? Anyone else ran into the same issue?

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ac compressors go bad all the time. But you are right, not really know of happening on the Raptor.

Doubt that there is an under lying issue.
Do you use your ac year round?
Maybe it didn't have enough oil in it from the factory. Your mechanic will be adding oil, so if that was the issue, it won't be going forward.

Did he find you a new one or rebuilt one?
Curious to the price of the job of you don't mind sharing.

Vote for your favorite pic
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f18/january-2017-calendar-vote-46906/
@Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:
Delta Lead
www.runraptorrun.com

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TuFerLife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response @Yukon Joe

I'll be picking it up from my mechanic tomorrow. I had him put the truck on mid perch while he had it, so I'm not sure of the cost yet... But I'll get some details tomorrow and update.

Previous owner was a Florida resident, so that could have been part of the issue. I don't run my AC that often as I'm cold in nature, but maybe that will help this new one last longer.

I'll let you know as I find out more...

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The compressor should come with oil in it already, should not need to add any oil. The seals sometimes go on the compressors causing leaks, but if you didn't have any problems with the a/c being cold, I would think its just an isolated problem.

OP
OP
T

TuFerLife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The compressor should come with oil in it already, should not need to add any oil. The seals sometimes go on the compressors causing leaks, but if you didn't have any problems with the a/c being cold, I would think its just an isolated problem.

Purchased it July of last year and noticed air conditioning was bad within a couple hours of leaving the dealership. But I flew down and had a 9 hour drive back... So I wasn't in a position to turn back around. Luckily the dealer paid to have someone locally flush it and put new coolant in there, and that definitely seemed to help.

I've had 2 ignition coils go out since I've owned the truck and every time that happens it's like the AC stops blowing cold...

With all that being said, this was about the best thing to have broken on my truck. I just say that because I was always skeptical about the AC, and now this might have that question answered for me...

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not that unusual for an A/C compressor to go out and there seems to be no rhyme or reason for when it happens. My old F250 had 130K on the original compressor when I sold it, but mine just went out on my Raptor at 44K. It started making noise and I got it in before it went out completely. It was spitting junk into the system, so it was only a matter of time before it went out completely, which knowing my luck, would have been when it was 115 degrees.

I bought an extended warantee mainly for the electronics, but it sure paid for itself on this repair. I also had the high pressure hose leaking, which they didnt cover, but the insurance company paid out $1600 for a new compressor, condenser and receiver/drier, system flush and labor. Now Im ready for the brutal Phoenix summer ahead.

OP
OP
T

TuFerLife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you got yours taken care of under warranty... Mine cost $850 to fix by my personal mechanic for a new compressor, condenser, and expansion valve...

I love this damn truck but then I just had a TPMS sensor malfunction last night and cause a light to come on my dash... Now I gotta research that. Grrrrr....

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love this damn truck but then I just had a TPMS sensor malfunction last night and cause a light to come on my dash... Now I gotta research that. Grrrrr....

I was told by our partsman at work the other day that he had a TPMS issue that his truck's computer (Chevy) wouldnt recognize 2 of 4 TPMS sensors. He took it to Discount tire and the guy there confirmed it with his hand held scanner. He wiggled the valve stems on the 2 in question and they both started registering. Its been working fine since. He said its a common issue and fix before having to replace the sensors. But unless you have access to a hand held TPMS scanner, you may have to drive it to get the TP light to go out just like when you air up a low tire. Free & easy fix to try before your next drive. :hitit:

OP
OP
T

TuFerLife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told by our partsman at work the other day that he had a TPMS issue that his truck's computer (Chevy) wouldnt recognize 2 of 4 TPMS sensors. He took it to Discount tire and the guy there confirmed it with his hand held scanner. He wiggled the valve stems on the 2 in question and they both started registering. Its been working fine since. He said its a common issue and fix before having to replace the sensors. But unless you have access to a hand held TPMS scanner, you may have to drive it to get the TP light to go out just like when you air up a low tire. Free & easy fix to try before your next drive. :hitit:

Good man. I was about to try your suggestion, but ever since I got back in the truck it hasn't come back on. Keep your fingers crossed! :popcorn:

sharpertouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ac compressor bearing also failed. Actually flew off while I was driving! Heard the same ticking swirling sqeeking noise and burnt smell. 72000 miles.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk