Amsoil 500 DOT 3 vs 600 DOT 4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bossman216

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck mainly stays on the hwy. Some off roading but never at high speeds. Which is better and why?? Thank you for any info.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The DOT 4 is better because it has a higher wet boiling point. While both are good, brake fluid absorbs moisture like no other fluid out there. The wet boiling point determines how hot the fluid can be before it breaks down and stops doing it's job.

Brake fluid is subjected to very high temperatures, especially in the wheel cylinders and disk brake calipers. It must have a high boiling point to avoid vaporizing in the lines. This vaporization is a problem because vapor is highly compressible relative to liquid, and therefore negates the hydraulic transfer of braking force, so the brakes will fail to stop the vehicle.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...ries-600-dot-4-racing-brake-fluid/?zo=1678239

Last edited:

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I always ran Motul RBF600 in my race bikes, and will change the raptors fluid pretty soon. Its always done really well in the tests, and is reasonably priced.

OP
OP
B

bossman216

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The DOT 4 is better because it has a higher wet boiling point. While both are good, brake fluid absorbs moisture like no other fluid out there. The wet boiling point determines how hot the fluid can be before it breaks down and stops doing it's job.

Brake fluid is subjected to very high temperatures, especially in the wheel cylinders and disk brake calipers. It must have a high boiling point to avoid vaporizing in the lines. This vaporization is a problem because vapor is highly compressible relative to liquid, and therefore negates the hydraulic transfer of braking force, so the brakes will fail to stop the vehicle.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...ries-600-dot-4-racing-brake-fluid/?zo=1678239

Thanks Chris! I appreciate you taking the time to type all that out. Very good info.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
I know, but I liked the blue!! Makes it easier to tell you have the old fluid out when you are flushing it. Plus I think the DOT ruling was dumb.

Meh, I was never a fan of blue, stains the reservoirs. Plus, it's not hard to tell with the TYP 200, the old fluid gets pretty dark - usually use 2-3 liters when doing a true brake flush.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I liked the ATE SuperBlue, but DOT recently outlawed it because it is not clear or amber...

I never liked the blue because it stains the plastic in the MC and you can't tell when it's getting dark like amber.