30,000 mile service?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I searched but didn't find anything, which surprises me. I did see the 15K service threads, so this is related.

The manual says it's an oil change, rotation, a bunch of inspections and lubrications on things that can't be lubricated on a Raptor.

The dealer wants $550 and they rattled off a bunch of other things they'd do. I should've written them down.

A Quicklane shop quoted me $400, and included

Oil change
Rotate
Injector service + air intake cleaning (huh?)
Auto transmission service?
Cooling system service
4 wheel alignment
Replace air cleaner (do they mean filter?)

Sooooo, which is it? The manual doesn't speak of any of these services. Are they needed? Recommended? This is for normal driving conditions.

BANE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I searched but didn't find anything, which surprises me. I did see the 15K service threads, so this is related.

The manual says it's an oil change, rotation, a bunch of inspections and lubrications on things that can't be lubricated on a Raptor.

The dealer wants $550 and they rattled off a bunch of other things they'd do. I should've written them down.

A Quicklane shop quoted me $400, and included

Oil change
Rotate
Injector service + air intake cleaning (huh?)
Auto transmission service?
Cooling system service
4 wheel alignment
Replace air cleaner (do they mean filter?)

Sooooo, which is it? The manual doesn't speak of any of these services. Are they needed? Recommended? This is for normal driving conditions.

#1 you dont need to do the Injector service + air intake cleaning
#2 you dont need Auto transmission service
#3 you dont need Cooling system service
#4 Dealer is trying to tell you bs

It is a good thing to do the oil change, Rotation and Alignment should be like $300

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow, I got the same line from 3 dealers and one Quicklane. Why are they pushing unnecessary services like that?

I'm thinking of doing the lifetime alignment at Firestone for $159. Then all I'd need is an oil change and a rotation. Maybe time for new wiper blades. Just installed a CAI so air filter not needed. Need to look into whether there's a cabin air filter and the filter for the cooled seats.

mikehoncho88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sticky in this forum (maintenance forum) has a PDF of the maintenance service for 30000 miles.

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The sticky in this forum (maintenance forum) has a PDF of the maintenance service for 30000 miles.

Thanks, I saw that. I'm wondering why three dealers and one Quicklane are recommending services that are not in the manual.

mikehoncho88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I saw that. I'm wondering why three dealers and one Quicklane are recommending services that are not in the manual.

Oh that's easy. Dealers only care about making money. They make a lot off of some of those extras like fuel system cleaning, coolant flush, trans flush, etc. high profit, low work. It won't really hurt anything to get it done, but I always try to go with the manufacturer recommendations.

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I recall is some of my older vehicles (they were newer at the time) that the 30,000 service was the first "big one" and the manual recommended all sorts of stuff. Is it that newer vehicles require less maintenance, and our Raptors in particular don't need all this stuff?

I mean, don't get me wrong. If it doesn't need it I'm all for it. But I want to drive this car for a long time. If there is maintenance that makes sense I'd like to do it, but I don't want to throw money away for nothing.

What the manual suggests seems to be very little, which I guess is good. Any suggestions for services above what the manual recommend?

mikehoncho88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going back to your OP, the big three on there I would be wary of are the injector cleaning, cooling system service, and auto transmission service. All of those are known "scams". Not a scam in the sense that the service isn't done, or isn't needed, but in the sense that they are often sold to customers way before they are truly needed. Both the coolant and the transmission fluid can be checked to see if they need to be replaced. The injector service seems like a straight rip off to me, because I think it wouldn't be needed unless you were running really cheap gas. And even then 30,000 miles seems early.

Ultimately, it's your choice, if it gives you peace of mind, do it. Plus only you know your truck. Maybe you tow a lot? Well then the trans flush might start to make more sense.

Also, the air cleaner is the air filter, different words for the same thing. It'll be a cold day in hell before I pay someone to change one of those for me. I'd recommend doing that one yourself, and while you are at it you can buy a can of MAF cleaner to do the "intake cleaning" yourself as well.

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The manual is saying spark plugs at 97500 miles, coolant at 105,000 and transmission at 150,000.

I think I'll wait a little longer... :evillol:

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IF you use your truck for anything more than a daily, I would consider the transmission flush. There are actually TSB's out about the shift solenoids in the 6R80 tranny needing to be cleaned or replaced altogether due to being gunked up with trash. However, when flushing the tranny especially, I would recommend against using a quick lube shop (or for anything else for the most part). Those places deal in volume and repeat business, they normally use cheap fluids and labor, often do not have a flush machine that even holds the right volume of fluid to fully flush the transmission, much less be able to perform the proper "hot flush". That being said, before deciding on a dealership for servicing, check Yelp and other sources for reviews of their service department. There are dealerships out there that are more concerned with making a dollar than they are about protecting your best interest with their services.

Also, I have to wonder about the quality of fluids being used as well as how much they are actually doing with their 30K mile service at the prices you quoted. The fluid alone to fully flush the transmission and coolant would be between $2-300 alone. I do not believe that the coolant would NEED flushing at 30K, but you can test it with test strips you get at the local auto parts store to check the PH, etc to determine the condition of the coolant.

In the end, changing all the fluids IS cheap insurance, remember, your warranty is only good for everything to 36K miles, and fothe drivetrain up to 60K miles, so sure, they would want you to wait for longer intervals on that stuff for job security. But make sure you research the shop you have perform the work before committing.