2012 Raptor Oil - Best for hot weather???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pearlygates59

Reaction score
Hi all
I have a 2012 Raptor with 134k km on the clock. I live in the UAE - for 6 months of the year temperatures don't really drop below 30 degrees C and average around 45 degrees C! In winter the coldest it gets is around 10 degrees C, average around 25 degrees C in the day.

I've been recommended Castrol Edge Titanium synthetic oil 10W60 for my next oil change. I could also use a transmission oil change too.

I was wondering what recommendations you guys have for best engine oil for these conditions, as well as best transmission fluid and best oil filters.

Thoughts and advice welcome!

Many thanks

Matt

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I have a 2012 Raptor with 134k km on the clock. I live in the UAE - for 6 months of the year temperatures don't really drop below 30 degrees C and average around 45 degrees C! In winter the coldest it gets is around 10 degrees C, average around 25 degrees C in the day.

I've been recommended Castrol Edge Titanium synthetic oil 10W60 for my next oil change. I could also use a transmission oil change too.

I was wondering what recommendations you guys have for best engine oil for these conditions, as well as best transmission fluid and best oil filters.

Thoughts and advice welcome!

Many thanks

Matt

I think a full synthetic oil would be appropriate for those temperatures. For all us folks who can't do the C to F conversion in our heads, here are a list of temperatures that were listed:

Cold weather
10C == 50F
25C == 77F

Hot weather
30C == 80F
45C == 113F

I think 5w20 Mobile 1 Full Synthetic Extended Performance should work well. It is the weight that is recommended for our trucks and it looks like it can maintain viscosity at 40C with no problem. You could consider the 5w30 as that is more viscous but I don't actually think the fully synthetic 5w20 will break down in the temperatures you are talking about. I use the Mobile 1 Extended Performance oil filter.

Regarding transmission fluid, I would go with the Amsoil OE Synthetic transmission fluid.

Good luck.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not a good idea going with a heavier weight oil!
Our engines have oil squirters to help maintain heat as well as lubrication.
Plus the heavier weight oil will put extra stress on the oil pump gears.

The Mobil 1 Extended 5W-20 is the right oil to use in high heat, Supercharged and Turbo engines.
Paired with the Mobil 1 Extended oil filter or the Ford Racing oil filter.
I have always used Mobil 1 in my Supercharged Raptor but when the Extended came out I switched to that and it does perform better,
I noticed slightly cooler engine temp and gained 1/4 mpg. to boot.
I also do not collect alot of spent oil and water in my oil catch can.
Of course their are other high-end oils and filters to use and I'm sure many will come on and recommend their oil of choice.

As far as Transmission fluid, stay with Ford fluid just refresh it more often.
Again everyone has their own opinion but I believe most will agree with me.
If I were you I'd invest in a trans cooler with fans!!!!

Last edited:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What @MTF said. Modern engines are engineered for specific oil viscosities. Depart from the engineered optimum viscosity and the results will be poorer lubrication. A top quality full-synthetic 5w-20 is what you need.

Likewise transmission and differential (2) fluids. As far as the transfer case goes, like me you may be trapped into using Ford Transfer Case Fluid. Ford does not publish its characteristics, so no one knows what it is. If that's what's recommended for your 2012, then that's what you need to use.

BTW, if your vehicle with 134,000 km (83,000 miles) is still running the factory fluids in the transmission, differentials, and transfer case in THAT environment, then the truck is way, way overdue.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How has no one asked for UAE raptor photos yet!

Because we've all seen tons of photos and videos over the years! And some of us are even running the larger Ford OEM trans coolers they installed on Raptors destined for the middle east. Good stuff.

To the OP: another vote for 5W20 Mobile 1 Extended Performance here. Does fine on my supercharged Raptor. If you're really running hard out in the dunes, though, you should look into the CBR radiator. It's a high quality piece.

14 BlackScrew RR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think a full synthetic oil would be appropriate for those temperatures. For all us folks who can't do the C to F conversion in our heads, here are a list of temperatures that were listed:

Cold weather
10C == 50F
25C == 77F

Hot weather
30C == 80F
45C == 113F

I think 5w20 Mobile 1 Full Synthetic Extended Performance should work well. It is the weight that is recommended for our trucks and it looks like it can maintain viscosity at 40C with no problem. You could consider the 5w30 as that is more viscous but I don't atemp, ctually think the fully synthetic 5w20 will break down in the temperatures you are talking about. I use the Mobile 1 Extended Performance oil filter.

Regarding transmission fluid, I would go with the Amsoil OE Synthetic transmission fluid.

Good luck.
I do not see much of a difference between those temp and the temp of Phoenix AZ during the summer months.
My point is, that Ford suggested Maintenance should be just fine.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
stick with 5-20 or 0-20
The oil passages / squirters etc are all designed for that weight oil. Just buy the best 5-20 you can.