1500 Mile break in service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna run royal purple. Anybody else use this oil and opinions.

I will go with royal purple as well after break in. I run it in my gt500 on the dif. And tranny and love it. While everyone has been having issues I ran 900 hp and used it for years and have had no issues with the tranny or dif not including when I snapped my axles at the drag strip a few yrs back. Since the misers went in no issues and though it seems odd I feel like shifting was better with the royal purple.

OilPatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do--Amsoil from stem to stern...

Oil filter too or should I go with motorcraft? I'm a big believer in swapping all fluids out at 1,200-1,500 miles. After that I usually swap engine oil ever 6 months or 7k and send a sample off to blackstone labs for analysis. I've never owned a 4x4, so on not sure what the time/miles on changing the front and rear diffs or tranny should be. On my m3 it's a 6 speed and I swap it along with the rear diff ever 15k, but I baby the hell out of that car with maintenance.

OilPatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had my tranny flushed at the ford house, and I didn't watch while they did and and noticed when i got home they didn't use all the fluid I gave them. I took them 4 separate 1 gallon bottles and 2 quarts of fluid and I got back 2 gallons plus the 2 quarts. I only have 2100 miles on the truck, is they why they only had to use 2 gallons or did they not do a proper flush?

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, and the manual says the rear diff is lubed for life and only needs to be changed if the axle is submerged in water.

But that being said, any oil is at it's best when new...and so I usually will change all the main fluids around the first oil change interval of 5000 miles at the most.

Sometimes it just makes a guy feel good. 58-60 grand is a huge investment.

It's like having the carpets steam cleaned in the house...did they really need it? No but it makes my wife happy so " Let er rip tater chip"

Last edited:

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't really see what changing the diff and tranny fluids so early will really help, but I notice a few people on here doing it. Seems a bit overkill to me.

OilPatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't really see what changing the diff and tranny fluids so early will really help, but I notice a few people on here doing it. Seems a bit overkill to me.

I swapped everything today. It gives me piece of mind, plus I now have top quality fluids in my engine, front diff, rear diff, tranny, & transfer case. I had 2100 miles on it when I changed everything and already had a little build up on the magnetic fill plugs on both diffs.