winch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uaq69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi guys,
i installed recon 10,500 winch to my raptor from about a year i use it few times for light pulling once in a heavy pulling i find out the my car power making trouble and not giving the winch enough power am connecting the winch directly to the battery and always pulling when my vehicle is on i didnt install any fuse or something can this affect electrical component in my vehicle and how can i increase power

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no fuse is a definite no no. the line must be fused or you can have big problems.

as far as the power goes, what size power/ground wire are you using? other than that, i dont know much about the winch itself, but it could be faulty?

KeithS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decrease the electrical resistance or increase the amperage. Use the minimum wire length possible with the largest gauge practical and good quality connections to reduce resistance. Run your winch hard for 30 seconds and then check your connections and wire for hot spots which will point out your highest resistance areas. Also consider upgrading your alternator and/or adding a second battery to increase available amperage.

Also wouldn't hurt to do some reading on winching techniques if you haven't already done so. For instance, your winch will have significantly more pulling capacity when the rope is nearly all the way out versus when you have a full spool.

***edit***
Running without a fuse is normal for winches, but that is a good point on the ground wire (it should be the same size as the power wire and connect directly to the battery).

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
really? so you dont use any kind of fuse or circuit breaker? i thought with that much current you would need some sort of protection

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also consider upgrading your alternator and/or adding a second battery to increase available amperage.

If you add a battery it needs to be in parallel to increase amps/watts. Adding in series would increase voltage & give you a 24V system.

ManleyORV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had winches on all my Jeeps and I just run them straight to the battery.

Also might wanna try upgrading your battery to an Odyssey, Optima or I run a Sears Diehard Platinum. My buddy is running his stock Jeep battery and on hard pulls it will pull his Jeep down and dim the lights.

Last edited: