winch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uaq69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there any portable winch which you just instal when you need and move it when you dont want?

xtcbct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that looks really clean. Any chance there is a closeup pic of how it mounts? What is the load rating with that?

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All the way, in no way I am bashing your setup... With a hitch mounted winch, couldn't you easily have more pulling force than the hitch rating? Especially, if the truck was bogged down in mud, which increases the pulling resistance. Or pulling at an angle, because most anchor points are rarely straight ahead or behind stuck vehicle. I like this setup because your not stuck with a winch in the front.

Here is what Bill Burke says about them and why I am questioning your setup..

" All class three (class III) hitches are DOT (you know them) rated at 5000 pounds. You just put a 9000 or 8000 pound rated winch in a 5000 pound hitch. Now you're going to try to pull a 6300 pound vehicle out of the mud that has a resistance force equal to or exceeding the weight of the vehicle. And you're going to do all this from a dinky 2 1'2 inch tube bolted to your frame probably with grade 5 hardware. AS IF! Never mind if you have to pull off angle cause you don't own a Pull-Pal
. I suggest that if you want to use the receiver type winch, which is actually a good idea for total function, you mount two channels front and rear and make the winch mount frame the same, thereby doubling the strength of both the hitch and the winch, and leave the single receiver for the boat or the sleds!"

-Greg

Last edited:

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Alltheway, For others looking to add the portable winch, can you share some information about it?

Approximately, how much was the setup?

What is the setup rated for?

How heavy is the winch set up ( for carrying purposes)

Where do you store the winch while offroading?

Thanks for the info.