What good is a winch if you have nothing to tie it to?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm considering the Warn 8000lb winch but where I plan on off roading there is little to no tree's or large rocks to tie the hook or cable to.

I know there are some other products that hold you firm in the ground but trying that in hard Vegas clay is next to impossible.

Any suggestions? The look of the winch custom mounted in the front bumper is sweet!

Another thing cable or synthetic ?

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Synthetic...

if the ground is so hard packed that you cannot use a land anchor, how are you getting stuck?

Land anchors will bite into just about any soil...

Also you are supposed to always try to take a buddy... hook to him.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The problem with hooking to objects other than trees, massive boulders or a buddy's truck is that there is a very real and serious risk of turning these objects into projectiles. Given the physics of towing that means these projectiles are usually headed back towards the vehicle with the winch. Not a good thing and people have been seriously hurt and killed because of it.

I second the suggestion that you don't go out without a buddy who's truck you can hook to.

OP
OP
RIKU

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks gents, I know I know go out with a buddy but realistically that will not happen 50% of the time.

I have yet to get stuck but I'm assuming one day it will happen, not from mud but from a deep dip or something.

What can I do in this scenario?

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm no expert (hoping to learn from your question too), but in that scenario, it would seem to me that land anchors are just about your only option.

Someone care to explain their use and/or give examples? Might even be worth its own thread?

PS: Riku, as you're considering a winch, check out my thread on come-alongs. Definitely worth considering as well: http://www.svtoffroad.com/showthread.php?263-Why-not-a-come-along

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to have to respectfully disagree with MMD on the ground anchor thing.
I have never personally used one but I do know of some SF troops who have used them (pull-pal specifically) extensively, and have nothing but good things to say about them. They work on everything up to hard pack ground, so long as you can get them an inch or three of initial bite. A shovel can be used to dig that first couple inches then the ground anchor should take care of itself.
As to breaking... winches are intrinsically dangerous objects... stand to the side... put a weight on the winch line (rope does not snap back violently like steel line does in case of failure) learn your equipment and inspect your equipment. A ground anchor should not come loose any more than a rope should slip off of a rock or your should pull over a tree that is less stable than you thought...

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think we're disagreeing. Maybe it's miscommunication on my part. My concern is for folks' safety.

Using winches involves a safety risk. It's imperative that the operator knows what he/she is doing and others stand back. Anything used as an anchor for the winch needs to be secure. It could be another vehicle, a rock (Iraq?), a ground anchor, whatever. If it's done safely then it's OK.

Disclaimer: I've seen people eat glass and swallow swords. Just because they can do it safely doesn't mean I'm going to do it :D

OP
OP
RIKU

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After going through the thread on the Come Along and reading up on Hi Lifts I dont think I will be getting a winch now.