Using A CO2 Tank to Quickly Inflate Tires, Operate Air Tools & More

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Anyone ever used a good ole fashion fire extinguisher as the tank? We've got a handful of 10# empties laying around the shop and I'm wondering if one can be used? Any thoughts on that?

From Outback's site, their tank is charged to 800 psi. What is a fire extinguisher rated to? If it is 800+ psi, there you go. They are using liquid CO2, so not sure how that would work for a tank rated for less.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gotcha. The extinguisher is rated lower (585psi). Seems kind of a waste, especially when I'm sure I'd have to explain myself everytime I go for a fill up.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did someone say Outback?

xd-tank.jpg

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the lack of gauge? How do you know where your fill level's at? Weight?

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK, since this issue is alive again :D

Here's a slick bracket someone made for their CO2 tank (you can store it horizontally but must use it vertically) as it will enable the tank to fit in under a bedcover (i.e. Bakflip) - BTW, I have 20.5" of clearance from Bedrug to lowest part of underside of Bakflip.

mount.7.jpg

Here's another custom bracket solution - 45 degree bend to 1/4" steel plate using a bottle bracket:

mount.2.jpg

Link: http://powertank.com/mounting.ideas

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think I've found what could be an excellent (and very similar) alternative! Give me some time today to check it out. Stay tuned - if it'll work it'll save us a lot more (less than even the Outback Air solution)...

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cool! Was looking around myself last night and yeah I think I see where you're heading MMD.

Also regarding the fill level, everything I'm reading says that this system will deliver full power right up till around 15 seconds before it's empty. So, and this goes hand in hand with what you guys are saying, a gauge is pretty much useless.

On that same note, I've read several warnings (suggestions); don't trust the guys who fill your bottle. Instead, take your new empty tank and weigh it, valve and all. Save the number (some tanks already have it imprinted on the side). Then when you get home weigh it again and make sure the new weight has increased exactly by the rating of the tank; for example if you have a 10# tank, lets say you weigh it new to be 14.5lbs. When you get home, make sure its new weight is 24.5lbs. If its more, bleed out the extra until it is.

Apparently a properly filled tank can be half buried in the Mojave for the summer with no problems. On the other hand, even a slightly overfilled tank when exposed to ambient temps of 100deg or more, can and do blow (the one-time-use safety valve blows and you lose all the CO2). I guess there's some exponential relationship between # overfilled and pressure build in the tank. It only takes one or two #s over to cause problems.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've spent some time researching CO2 inflation options and it's just about there. I'm trying to get a quantity discount and working on some accessories/options. I've sent the info to Jason as I hope he has some input.

While we're finalizing the selection of products it would be very helpful to know how many of you are interested in having a portable, very fast, cost-effective CO2 tank option. I expect the basic combo will be under $200 not including shipping (BIG SAVINGS!). By the way, these tanks can also be used to power air tools (BONUS).

So, are you interested in a CO2 setup for fast tire inflation?

DSC04086.jpg

I'll be posting this on other websites like iH8mud, Jeep forums, etc. as I expect they'll be interested too.