GEN 1 Truck Mods before first Off-Road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to do some off-roading with a group gathering in the future, and I want to get my Raptor ready. Reading the threads, I have a to-do list of items to get like tires, compressor, jack, etc. I already have a few items, like a first aid kit, winch, tow lines, LED spot/flood lights, etc.

My question is the mods needed beyond stock for the truck itself, for example the suspension. I've seen mention of bumper stops (what's a bumper stop?), new leaf springs, shocks, etc. But I am a newbie in this area. A beginners list of mods (and recommended brands), sorted by importance, would be appreciated.

My goal is to be off-road ready enough so I don't damage anything, but not a full-out off-road truck.

Thanks

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My suggestions:

1. Bump stop / frame support. Brand depends on what you will be doing the rest of the time with your truck. SCV is adjustable (great for towing). Icon has a great kit. And of course Rogue has an awesome setup that is beautiful.

2. Leaf Springs. There are several things to consider here as well. Denver makes several different styles from +3 (for hauling stuff in the back when off roading) to +2 for stock ride height. WSI leafs are great and come in different setups as well.

3. Shocks. Again, some things to consider. If you stick with stock, then go to mid perch. Some guys have added the Geiser Springs to the front. Has helped a lot with handling off road driving. If you want an upgrade, then go to 3.0's. Increased travel. Increased performance. There are the big three - King, Fox and Icon. They all have there own pros and cons. Some are adjustable, so you can adjust them for off road and then re-adjust them when back on the road.

PM me with any needs you may have or want some further info. Crown Offroad is ready to set you up and it will be hard to beat our prices with any of the above manufacturers.

Good luck with your decision and welcome to the struggle of off road needs!!!

D

Deleted member 12951

The stock truck is fully capable of going off-road. A bump stop helps strengthen the rear frame if you want to step it up a notch. If you take it easy, your truck will do just fine. Try stock first and see what others have during your gathering then see what you think you might like to go. The only thing you might want to do, is go to mid-perch to give you a little more clearance and the additional pre-load on the coils. And yes, all that recovery stuff is the best thing you can get ready now.

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Added some recovery gear.

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

I agree with @The Macf

The stock Raptor is awesome! You'll be amazed with what you can do with it. Mine is still bone stock and on bottom perch. Safety, recovery gear, exhaust and such but nothing else. When and if you push the limits of a stock Raptor, and you'll know, then you can consider other options.

D

Deleted member 12951

Go with a bumpstop kit and basic safety and recovery gear first. You'll know when it's time to upgrade the suspension etc... You'll start breaking stuff

Got the wifey trained, ask her what happens when stuff breaks. She knows.