Trail Ethics And Common Courtesy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I posted the reduced version of this here - http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f70/trail-ethics-common-courtesy-27138/ , but decided it was important enough to post the full articles. Keeping these things in mind when off-road will not only make your experience safer, but will also improve the chances that a land owner will ask you back and that your recreation areas and trails will stay open.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Basic Training for Life
(Rules for Recreationists)
By Del Albright, BlueRibbon Ambassador[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](Download .pdf version of this article)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Does it seem to you that not all recreationists follow the same rules? Have you ever encountered an angry land owner upset with someone who did not close his gates? Have you ever had a loaned piece of equipment returned to you broken? Can you recall meeting an inconsiderate trail user? Are you tired of picking up after others?

[/FONT]I'm sure you answered yes to most of these questions because these things are common in our sports. In my opinion, these things need to stop! Well, I have some suggestions that might help. In fact, I'd like to share with you these rules of life I found the other day posted in an RV park. I think if we all followed these, we might find our lives and our recreational pursuits in better shape. Check these out.
Basic Training for Life:
1. If you open it, CLOSE IT.
2. If you turn it on, TURN IT OFF.
3. If you unlock it, LOCK IT.
4. If you break it, FIX IT.
5. If you can't fix it, CALL SOMEONE WHO CAN.
6. If you borrow it, RETURN IT.
7. If you use it, TAKE CARE OF IT
8. If you make a mess, CLEAN IT UP.
9. If you move it, PUT IT BACK.
10. If it belongs to someone else, GET PERMISSION TO USE IT.
12. If you don't know how to operate it, READ THE DIRECTIONS or DON"T MESS WITH IT.
13. If it doesn't concern you, DON'T MESS WITH IT.
I don't know who made this list up, but I do know that many of these rules make sense to me. I can clearly remember my folks laying some of these rules on me as I was growing up. It had a lot to do with manners also. Seems like we spent more time learning manners in those days.....

Some of my readers have complained to me about the need for rules on the trail. They ask: "what happened to the days of just going out in the woods to get away from it all and have a good time?" I answer: "They're gone."

Yes, it's too bad that we've had to take more and more rules to the trails. But it's a fact. There are too many of us out there enjoying the great outdoors not to have rules. Besides, some folks just don't behave well unless there is a punishment for being bad. It takes rules to make that happen.

You might ask, "What happened to common sense, Del?" I would answer, "It's mostly gone too." I say that because there seems to be little left of commonality in our busy lives these days. Diversity, freedom of choice, hundreds of cultural blendings, cyberspace, and so on have elevated our society into one of many choices and many different approaches to life -- which is good, right? Well, maybe not on our trails and lands...

In order to keep our trails and lands open, we need to follow the rules that will keep our opponents off our backs and our friendly supporters (politicians) out of trouble. In order to do that, we have to develop the rules we can live by. We have to follow them; and we have to enforce them.

So what else can we do? Here are my suggestions from what I've learned around the country in my BlueRibbon Ambassador travels.

If your association or club has a code of ethics, learn them and live by them. If you don't have a code, develop one. Make up laminated cards of your code and make all members carry one, or post them on your rig where you can see them. Print out this list of Basic Training for Life and adapt it to your area. Make it part of your code. Put your code on the back of your business cards and club flyers. Post your code where you recreate. Make it part of your daily recreational life.

If you have kids, teach them these or similar rules and make ethics part of the common sense you'd like them to have. Explain to them how this will help keep our lands and trails open in the future.

In the leadership training course I offer, as well as in the Strategic Planning I help folks with, I emphasize the importance of having an organizational Mission, Vision and Values. Now I think I will add Code of Ethics to that list. I think we need more of them. I believe this will help us instill a feeling of stewardship towards our lands and trails, as well as our recreation. Heck, maybe it will just plain help re-instill those things we used to call common sense, courtesy, manners and respect for others. Hopefully, it will go a long ways towards keeping our lands and trails open well into the future for all of us to enjoy.

Here's a final Basic Training for Life rule I made up myself that I'll leave you with:
14. If you want something to change, ACT NOW -- CHANGE IT!

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

[SIZE=+1]Merging Traffic[/SIZE]
What happened to courtesy, common sense and citizenship?
By Del Albright, BlueRibbon Coalition Ambassador

Here’s the scene. You’re driving your rig, hauling your toys in the slow lane of a freeway. You’re at the speed limit plus six so you won’t get a ticket, but can sort of keep up with the flow of traffic. Several merge lanes are part of the picture and folks are jumping on the freeway, changing lanes, and rushing to somewhere. And no one is giving you a break, let alone the time of day or a bit of courtesy.

You are cut off, nearly side-swiped and forced to brake often. You can see dip-wads merging into your lane totally oblivious to traffic – especially to you. And when you honk or show your displeasure for someone endangering you and your family, you get a single-digit salute for your trouble. What happened to blending in with the flow of traffic?

What happened to courtesy, common sense and citizenship?
Now scene two: motorized recreation. Do you notice dirt bikers routinely pulling over for horses? How about four-wheelers yielding to uphill traffic on narrow mountain roads? Do you see folks staying on the trail when they have to sit in line while someone is broken down for an extended time? Do snowmobilers give way to cross country skiers?

Or, are we all starting to act like merging traffic on our crowded freeways? Are we no longer blending in with other forms of recreation? Have we forgotten the basic premise of sharing trails? Have we lost sight of courtesy, common sense and citizenship – the “Three C’s”? I don’t think so; but you might know someone who may get a touch impatient now and then. So I want to offer some reminders on sharing our trails and recreation areas so we can share our sport with our children and grand children.

Let’s look at the Three C’s:
Courtesy is defined as a polite, helpful, or considerate act or remark – as having manners. The courteous recreationist gives way to others and blends in with the flow of traffic with politeness and maybe even a big smile.

Common sense means having sound practical judgment and a sense of what’s right and wrong. The recreationist with common sense learns to observe the surroundings, stay alert to things that might cause an accident, and tune into the needs and rights of other recreationists so that we can all blend together and enjoy our great outdoors.

Citizenship is about the duties, rights and privileges of enjoying the freedoms we have in this great country, and about doing what’s right. The recreationist with good citizenship reads and obeys the rules and laws knowing that our future opportunities depend on all of us doing our part, the right way. It’s also about helping and teaching others the rights and privileges we enjoy.

Every recreational club and organization should have a code of ethics that embodies courtesy, common sense and good citizenship. For an example, check out the BlueRibbon Coalition very practical code of ethics here: http://www.sharetrails.org/index.cfm?page=27.

The days of outlaws and idiots who do not seem to have any of the three C’s, are over. They have to get off our trails and riding areas. The days of the uninformed are numbered if you do your part to help them get involved the right way and learn the Three C’s.

Merging traffic in motorized recreation is what we face every day. Our sports are growing and we are sharing recreational areas. Our need for courtesy, common sense and citizenship has never been stronger. If you have not already done so, adopt your own code of ethics. Teach younger people that code. Get involved in clubs/groups that are working to save our sports. Refer to my article on Basic Training for Life for more on words and deeds to live by: Basic Training for Life, article by Del Albright.

I believe the majority of recreationists already practice the Three C’s. It’s only a small percentage that gets our dander up and refuses to blend in smoothly. Now it’s time to take the next step and get more of us tuned in to the reality that we need to merge together with courtesy, common sense and good citizenship.

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

Recreation Code of Ethics

1. I will respect the rights of all recreationists to enjoy the beauty of the outdoors. I will respect public and private property.
  2. I will park considerately, taking no more space than needed, without blocking other vehicles, and without impeding access to trails.
  3. I will keep to the right when meeting another recreationist. I will yield the right-of-way to traffic moving uphill.
  4. I will slow down and use caution when approaching or overtaking another recreationist.
  5. I will respect designated areas, trail-use signs and established trails.
  6. When stopping I will not block the trail.
  7. I will not disturb wildlife. I will avoid areas posted for the protection of feeding wildlife.
  8. I will pack out everything I pack in, and will not litter.
  9. I realize that my destination objective and travel speed should be determined by my equipment, ability, the terrain, weather, and the traffic on the trail. In case of an emergency, I will volunteer assistance.
  10. I will not interfere with or harass others. I recognize that people judge all trail users by my actions.
  11. As a motorized trail user, I will pull off the trail and stop my engine when encountering horse back riders (it is also a good idea to take off your helmet and greet the riders).

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

The Image of Recreationists
By Del Albright
11/00

I wish I knew how much money the anti-access folks spend on their image - and perhaps how much of that money goes towards tainting the image of recreationists. Have you ever wondered how the media always seems to be able to get its hands on plenty of bad press about multiple-use on public lands? It occurs to me that someone else is painting MY image - not me. I don't think I like that.

Politicians certainly have access to no shortage of photos and "studies" showing a one-sided view of multiple use of our lands. Anti-access folks seem to be able to come up with plenty of fodder that taints the image of recreationists and other multiple users.

Targeted activities include: driving on beaches that for years were public access (Black Sands Beach, CA); logging (everywhere, USA); mining (Utah and other western states); controlled burning (Los Alamos, etc.); snowmobiling (Yellowstone); and four-wheeling (most everywhere, USA).

We (recreationists and multiple-users) are portrayed in a bad light. But how on earth do they manage to convince a large segment of voters to believe this garbage? Yes, the voters herein mostly live in cities and don't necessarily understand recreation and multiple-use; but some of them must understand. How can they be so manipulated into believing that "using" our public lands (or in some cases, private lands) is the same as "abusing" them?

I suggest thinking of your image the same way you think of your reputation or your integrity. Most all of us will go to extremes to protect our reputation, credibility, integrity, and honor. Well, our "image" should get equal protection. It's time to find ways to enhance (and protect) our image.

I can see about 5 steps we need to take (all of us).
I've written before about self-policing. That's the first step. Don't allow someone to violate the rules. Stop them. Correct the situation on the spot.

Education is the second step. Share your knowledge of responsible use of our lands and resources. If you need to know more, take the effort to learn more. Become informed so that you can inform others.

The third step is spending money on our image. Groups, clubs, organizations and individuals need to spend some bucks on enhancing our image. If we have to hire consultants, let's do it. If we have to re-direct some of our precious budget to brochures, handouts, etc., let's do it. If we have to sponsor folks to represent our clubs at big events wherein we can show our positive image, let's do it.

Being proactive is the fifth step. If we spent only ¼ of the time developing image-building ideas as we do planning a recreational event, we'd probably be light years ahead. We may have to get "outside the box" and think along different lines. I suggest we get ahead of the curve and develop ways to enhance our image locally, so as not to always be reactionary. We also need to work with manufacturers who put ads in magazines and help them be proactive with us.

Banding together (uniting) is the sixth step. Multiple use is the answer. Banding together builds strength and provides a united front. We can also share budgets; find ways to enhance multiple images at once; and lessen the impact of anti-access propaganda. It takes some planning and a lot of cooperation, but I believe we can do it (for sure, we can do more of it).

I feel my honor, my integrity, and my reputation are on the line when someone portrays my image as "bad." Our image is who we are to most people. Perception becomes a reality. I'm tired of someone else telling me what my image is. It's time we took control.

DEL

Feel free to write me if you have additional questions or need any help.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All of these are good.

Two that I see too often on the trail are these:

• I will keep to the right when meeting another recreationist. I will yield the right-of-way to traffic moving uphill.
  • When stopping I will not block the trail.

If those traveling on the trail would abide by these two rules everyone would be better off.

One other "rule" that we (the folks I off road with) follow is this:

* When you come upon someone broken down, help them (or make sure they have capable help provided by at least one other operating vehicle) and get them up and running again or take them back to civilization.

No one in our group (or any other single vehicles) ever get left behind.

Reminder: Karma is a bitch

fordrat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of your comments there are some that don’t have common sense sad but true but just plain common courtesy covers( most all areas ) but we need people to participate. Nowadays it’s scary, I’m not scared for myself but my children and grandchildren I grew up in the 60s there was so much you could do hitch hike with out fear of being killed, kidnapped or pretty much anything but I hate to say it but I’m scared to pick up anyone or even try to help anyone and that goes against everything I believe in I appreciate you and your care of people I’m glad I took the time to read your message and share it with us and thank the other people who took the time to share their thoughts as well