Stress Relief - and Sway Bar Disconnect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Took a day off and made a run to the hills today.
I had the cam mounted on the drivers side front hood most of the day, except for a few times.
538095_10150997823919283_160969047_n.jpg

First vid is a bit boring but gets interesting after 5 minutes.

Ghost River entrance - YouTube

Second vid is the remnant portion of Ghost River, which was dammed years ago to provide a better power grid for Calgary. Its a mere stream now, but used to be a much bigger place as seen at the end of the first vid.

To the River.wmv - YouTube

After a bit of touring around in the riverbed, I decided to take out the front sway bar. Wow - what a difference. It's like driving a whole new truck.

The biggest difference down in the rocky terrain was that the steering wheel doesn't jump out of my grip when I hit a bump or pothole with one side. Much better control in offroad situations.

The next important difference noticed with higher speed offroading was the lack of roll on banked turns. Instead of "leaning into it like driving a bike" the truck would still stay level. That took some getting used to and will require more practise - but I like it better this way. You just need to know where your tires are.

Third Vid was fun, and the mic didn't pick up too much air noise (need to upgrade). I couldn't really get much over 40mph but the suspension got a workout... This one was after I took off the sway bar, and I had pre-run it.

Rocky Ghost Run1.wmv - YouTube

Last vid is somewhat boring too, but scenic. There were 1,000 foot drop offs on the right so I didn't get too crazy in the turns.

The Way out 1 - YouTube

But the winter was harsh on this road and the potholes were easily 6" deep. This is one of those roads they don't need to post a speed limit on. I turned the camera around at a point and was watching the box move around - damn it's sloppy... I'm not sure what my rear suspension mod will be but it will definitely have to perform better than stock with the way I drive.

Bottom line is I spent a few hours breaking in the new truck today and wore off a bit of stress as work is killing me lately.
The sway bar is gone for good, I will learn to negotiate ramps and high speed turns with more caution.
But the difference in handling is like driving a whole different truck. I highly recommend this to all brothers and sisters here for the improved experience both on and off road.

PS: For the life of me I cant seem to fix the youtube links so if anyone out there can help I'd appreciate it.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great videos...

Are you still on bottom perch?

It is amazing the difference with and without swaybar... There is not the fighting back an forth between front wheels..

How are you liking the torsen front end?

We definately need to make a trip up yonder to go wheeling with you!

-Greg

OP
OP
JP7

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Thanks dude,
Yes, mid perch will be done by my dealer next week when I find time to get her in.
Man, I couldn't believe the difference on handling with the washboard/potholes. It truly was like driving a cadillac :hidesbehindsofa:

I should have done this with my 2010, but alas, I had pure fun with that the way it was.

The Torsen is great but I really haven't played with it too hard yet. There was a noticeable difference in handling it with the sway bar gone - I had much more control over the steering (it used to always rip the wheel outta my hand and want to go straight)

And y'all are welcome here anytime - I have a huge house with 3 guest rooms having mountain views. The place I was at in the vids has ample camping year round too with lots of places for day runs. No desert sand though, dammit!

OP
OP
JP7

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Cadillacs are now just over priced chevys, so that phrase is now redundant.:ROFLJest:
When you go to mid perch, check out those trails again. It is so much more predictable and just all around better!

I plan on doing that. The videos don't do it justice.
It's by far the best mod (taken off) the Raptor ever.

Banned
Reaction score
I really need to get out that way, been watching a few if your different videos, looks like some sweet places to have some fun.