Preliminary Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Hey Y'all,
Tomorrow we'll start to post some information about Raptor offroading experiences, and some tips and tricks for optimizing your tour after you leave the road.
This section of the forum is dedicated to provide some helpful information on enhancing the fun you can have in a Raptor while testing it's abilities on different terrain.

Reply post's are welcome, and all questions will be answered as per usual based on the experience of the members/users and their availability. We'll try and post as many helpful pics/vids as possible, but please understand that in some terrain, you need both hands on the wheel, which limits the capacity to film it. (unless you have a passenger willing to get out...)

All information relayed in this section is for user interest only. FRF cannot be responsible for actions taken by individuals and their usage of their vehicles in off road conditions. The information in this section is solely based on members experiences and is intended for the benefit of enjoying off-road ventures in this vehicle.

I know we have a trial lawyer somewhere on this forum, and this post could be a lot longer with his input - however suffice it to say, we just want to share some tips/tricks, do's/don'ts etc... - and if you happen to break parts on your truck while playing off-road - We understand and will help try and find remedies - however cannot be responsible in any way for recovery or restitution due to individual usage of the vehicle based on the information provided in the forum or the input of the members.

Aside from all that 'cover your ass' shit - tomorrow we will start with the 'Trails" section. It will be a work in progress, but y'alls comments and suggestions are always welcome!

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I like this, thanks JP for stepping up to the plate! This will be the sticky "disclaimer"!

peppercorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When to use,when not to use both on and off road?

I saw JP7's post about not having the truck in 4WD when jumping and thought that that made a lot of sense.
I have been wondering about all these electronics and just how to use them to maximize the life of components and to optimize their potential.

I had my truck in tow/haul mode the other night because I like the way it shifts around town in that mode, not so quick to hit 6th gear at 30mph, and I swear it was accelerating with my foot OFF the accelerator. After the third time this happened, I asked the dealer about it and he said I should only use this mode with a load or if towing and beyond that the computer may make the truck act like I described....hmmmm.

So, with that said, just when do you use traction control, sport mode, multiple modes, etc and in what combination?
I come from a '99 Superduty, all manual, including hubs. I grew up with the same so for me it has been a frustrating leap to go all electric.

OP
OP
JP7

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
I saw JP7's post about not having the truck in 4WD when jumping and thought that that made a lot of sense.
I have been wondering about all these electronics and just how to use them to maximize the life of components and to optimize their potential.

I had my truck in tow/haul mode the other night because I like the way it shifts around town in that mode, not so quick to hit 6th gear at 30mph, and I swear it was accelerating with my foot OFF the accelerator. After the third time this happened, I asked the dealer about it and he said I should only use this mode with a load or if towing and beyond that the computer may make the truck act like I described....hmmmm.

So, with that said, just when do you use traction control, sport mode, multiple modes, etc and in what combination?
I come from a '99 Superduty, all manual, including hubs. I grew up with the same so for me it has been a frustrating leap to go all electric.

I have to disagree with your dealer about the usage of tow/haul, as I use it constantly for the same reason you like it - shifting is better to keep things in the right powerband. In 6 months of driving it, I have never felt an acceleration issue, but have had a few white-knuckle moments going downhill and the automatic downshift on an icy road has sent me sideways a few times.
This is my first 'electronic' truck too - and I prefer manual hubs as well. Although things are still new, I wonder about a few years from now about getting stuck or worse by the 4wheel mode not engaging due to 'sensor failure' or some crap. Worse, troubleshooting the problem may be a bitch...

peppercorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to disagree with your dealer about the usage of tow/haul, as I use it constantly for the same reason you like it - shifting is better to keep things in the right powerband. In 6 months of driving it, I have never felt an acceleration issue, but have had a few white-knuckle moments going downhill and the automatic downshift on an icy road has sent me sideways a few times.
This is my first 'electronic' truck too - and I prefer manual hubs as well. Although things are still new, I wonder about a few years from now about getting stuck or worse by the 4wheel mode not engaging due to 'sensor failure' or some crap. Worse, troubleshooting the problem may be a bitch...[/QUOTE]

This is the Maine reason I went for the 7 year bumper to bumper warranty.

kglesq

Droid's Brother
Reaction score

I'm with JP7--your dealer has that wrong. Further, I've never noted T/H mode to cause the issues you noted above. We have two vehicles with that transmission, a 2010 Expedition and the Raptor, and T/H is excellent in the mountains as you never have to touch the brakes on downgrades. I can see where it could kick you sideways on ice though--not commonly an issue here in SoCal.

warrior

Your Wife's Personal Trainer
Reaction score
I am OLD school also, the Bronco is basic lock out hubs, dana 20 transfer case, lockers and carb motor. BUT, tried out the Raptor in the mtns with snow , hill desent is cool, no brakes? WTF.....

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I'm with JP7--your dealer has that wrong. Further, I've never noted T/H mode to cause the issues you noted above. We have two vehicles with that transmission, a 2010 Expedition and the Raptor, and T/H is excellent in the mountains as you never have to touch the brakes on downgrades. I can see where it could kick you sideways on ice though--not commonly an issue here in SoCal.

that's got to be one hell of a hard deceleration downshift to skid the rear tires to the point of kicking it sideways. you know what's great for snow/ice is Off Road Mode. It's not looking to harshly downshift like T/H mode but rather it will downshift at relatively low RPMs when you coast down a slight grade. it also keeps you in gear at the power band so you can avoid hard accelerating downshifts which may also break the tires loose.

it's a huge part of why I feel so awesome behind the wheel during a snow/ice event. if you use the brakes too much on ice something is bound to go wrong. slow and steady finishes the race.

peppercorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it happened again. The truck sits outside my office 10 or 12 hours a day, I start it up and take off and at the end of the street, about a quarter mile or so, I'm cruising along at about 25 mph and about 2200RPM, in T/H mode. I take my foot off the gas and it just keeps going, no decelereration, nothing, as if the cruise control has been set. Weird. It seems to be related to a cold start more than hot/warm, but at idle on a cold start it runs about 1200-1400 RPM briefly, never 2200.