Outfitter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justuspost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK guys, so I just need some external input. Please comment. Thanks!

I've been working with an outfitter on the trailer project. I'm planning to do most of the work myself, but they can source several of the components and do some of the assembly work. I've had him order about $4k worth of stuff and have $2-3k more to go. I understand that he's a business and needs to make some $$ on the transactions, but I'm starting to think he's kind of gouging me.

A couple examples:

paid slightly under msrp for a tent addition, could have gotten it ~60 less online. Still an OK price, but I could have gotten it much less.

Ordered a custom bed slide, paid msrp. (500) Shopping seems to be roughly 2x the actual shipping cost (250). I called the manufacture and confirmed the dealer makes $ on msrp and shipping should be 100-150 max. I wanted to know if I was paying the published price online, he was making a buck. I'm reasonable.

He quoted me at least 3-4 times the cost to bedline the entire trailer. $1000 I at least on one occasion specifically asked if that included prep. Yes, of course. I took the trailer in the other day and now he thinks I should go have it prepped (could cost as much as $1000 alone). Then, instead of emailing me their number, he called to get a quote. Not heard back yet, but it's really sounding like he's going to want me to pay more than the $1000 he quoted numerous times.

I told him that I could get the big tent for $300 less online, and would he price match. He plainly said no and tried to sell the point by telling me a tragic story about tents being damaged on arrival and what a pain it was to return them. He eventually came down a very little bit like $50, but nothing notable.

Questions:

What am I paying a premium to these guys for? I can make a phone call too.

Should I just do all this on my own and save the $?

Am I being paranoid or is this guy taking a bit of liberty?

If the bed liner situation escalates, I feel like I'm ready to have him cancel the orders and send the stuff back, refund. I've been told I'm an ass and thought it would be nice to hear what you fellas thought. We'll call it, self improvement.

Justus

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you are going to pay a premium when you work with anybody. its part of doing business. if you are going to call, email, or spend time in our shop, its time we are spending usually answering your questions. you buy online, you wont have anyone to talk to if you have questions. now how much premium is up to you. if you come into my shop saying you can buy online for xxxx amount, i tell you to have a nice day. and will quote everything at full retail. (labor goes up if you bring in your own product too) if you come in asking about the quality of install we do, the quality of product, etc, and want to actually talk serious about high end (high quality) parts to go into your vehicle, then yes, i definitely discount products as part of the quote. and the more you add to the quote, the more i can discount. but the fact is, most people will go to a shop, get the info they need and then go buy online. pretty soon there wont be any shops left to go ask questions or get your stuff installed.

as a business owner, i will give you this one piece of advice. never say you can get online for ____ amount. you will be treated a whole lot better. if you say that, then we are going to assume you are trying to use us for info only. and we are less inclined to help.

i can not comment on the rest of your situation, but hopefully the lining issue works out.

OP
OP
justuspost

justuspost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I understand your position, most places these days will price match. Is it impolite to want to spend less and not more? I understand there should be some margin, but double shipping cost and inability to deliver on a specific quote has me rethinking things...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can always ask to see if they can deal, it doesnt hurt, but when you start to mention internet shopping, it makes it hard for the shop to make any money. as a storefront there are certain minimum requirements from the manufacturers that we need to meet. and since they are the ones paying the lease on the building, and all the bills to keep the doors open, there is a certain amount of overhead. that overhead has to be relfected in the price of equipment especially if they are knowledgable on yhe products. like i said i deal a lot when someone is talking high end equipment who wants to purchase and install from us.

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
I certainly don't get offended when somebody asks me if I can beat a price vs. a competitor. I don't only do custom interiors on vehicles, I make shirts, hats shorts, jersies, etc. for events, companies, teams, etc. If someone came into our shop and got us to quote a price and they state "I can get it for this price elsewhere," I analyze the price. If I can beat it, I do and make a sale. If I can't, I apologize and tell them I can't go that low.

Find someone that can compete with their prices and tell the company you are working with. Surely they would be flexible with prices to beat competition.

OP
OP
justuspost

justuspost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'm going to meet with them soon. Still no call back on the prep or ordering of the axle. Should have been no later than yesterday...

For the record, I appreciate they need to make $. I also understand that rolling up in a Raptor makes us vulnerable to steeper than normal prices. I learned that lesson owning a 43ft sail boat. The first question when getting a price for any boat item is: What size of boat do you have? Lol

Thanks guys! I'll update you all after I talk to them.

OP
OP
justuspost

justuspost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We'll, it didn't go as well as I hoped. The trailer was parked in the same place as I left it... Quote for bedliner and prep wasn't done or even looked at... Suspension was measured, but not ordered and the quote for that was 30% more than it should be.

Custom bed slide was ordered but no tracking number. The $250 in shipping I'm paying was apparently truck rate, which means it's roughly 2x actual cost.

My ass hurts. I'm done.

OP
OP
justuspost

justuspost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now the problem is: How do I prep this thing by myself? Researching sandblasting now...