Ouray Colorado Imogene pass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tuYj1m52ho

i never posted this after i clipped it together. this is a little after the campground to where it really starts getting hairy. we did not have an altimeter with us, so guessing we were somewhere around 10-11k feet with the top being over 13k.

i took the raptor to the top. it was a little sketchy with how wide the rap is and how truly narrow a lot of the trail is.
gW1fds.jpg

if you watch the video until the end you can see a dummy head in a blue taco that has slipped off the trail. they got incredibly lucky, hopefully they just turned around once they were pulled free. if you dont want to watch an almost 50 minute video, here is the 5 minute clip of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAV38rcWq2A

hopefully i get to do a lot more of these trips in the years to come. working on getting a popup camper now so these trips become cheaper.

thanks guys.

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We did that trip last year. It was a blast but you're right, there are some narrow sections. I had my son as a co pilot who could watch the sides. Didnt have any issues but I did warp a rotor going down the back side when I crossed a stream. Brakes were really hot.

How did that bone head not roll that Tacoma?

OP
OP
AndysLog

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
thats awesome!

i will say having the front camera, and my wife as my co pilot we really never got into a situation where i was personally scared or worried. we did however almost have a jeep go over during an opposite direction pass. the woman in the jeep was on the outer most edge and they had a couple hundred to an easy 1000 foot drop. she lost her ******* shit, the guy thought it was awesome.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a lot of the trails here in co arent raptor friendly. at least thats what i have seen. i was on slaughterhouse gulch and had to "gently" push a tree out of the way

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey! That is right in my back yard. I haven't had the Raptor up on Imogene but have done it in a LONG list of vehicles over the years. Probably wont get it up there now because the snow has come in.

Next summer I will have tons of "Raptor in the mountains" pictures. Here are a couple of previous summits... Ooops, looks like the PW pic is Black Bear pass.

Attachments

• IMG_0587.jpg
    IMG_0587.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0891.jpg
    IMG_0891.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 78
OP
OP
AndysLog

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i wanted to do black bear really bad but without anyone with us and unsure of how narrow the trail was going to get we opted out:( hopefully next time.

nice pics!

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I read about the Alpine loop and want to do it in the Rap. Any segments I should avoid for clearance reasons?

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read about the Alpine loop and want to do it in the Rap. Any segments I should avoid for clearance reasons?

This fall the lower section of Engineer Pass from Hwy 550 to the base of the mtn is rough by any standard. I did it in my bosses worn out 4dr Tacoma on 31's while leading an older couple, she kept telling us how they were 60..., in her stock Jeep Sahara Unlimited(4dr). Looked like it was on 33's. We made it just fine, I am not worried about doing it in my scab.

I have also done it in a big '15 powerless wagon but that thing hits bottom all the time, needs 37s bad.

There are some tight switchbacks here and there but nothing that should hang you up at all.

Now next summer, who knows? Every few years the county guy gets wild with the dozer and it is a highway for a few years. Since the loop covers three counties at least, you never really can be sure what you will find.

Black Bear would be scary in a screw I would think, wide and long isn't a good combination on the last switchbacks. Normally I just drive down, look over the edge and go back the way I came. It isn't technically difficult but it is dangerous. I have done it maybe 5 times all the way into Telluride.

Attachments

• IMG_0895.jpg
    IMG_0895.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 65