Off-Roading With Pets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Since there has been tons of pet pictures on the forum here lately, it is clear that Raptor owners are also pet lovers. So I decided to give out some advice for offroading with your pet.

Don't.

I can break it down a little further, because there are plenty of cases where it's ok. For the most part, it's not. Your pets aren't given the luxury of bolstered seats and seat belts. They don't even have the cognisance to realize that the car is moving any different than it normally should.

I have taken my dogs off-roading in the mountains of Colorado with little issues, but it was slow speed, and even at that the dogs had trouble getting used to the rough stuff (while in the cab). A high speed brake check would have sent them flying, hurting them, and potentially us.

If you are going to take them off-roading, put them in a crate that is just bigger than they are, and secure it in the bed with good tie-downs and mounting points, leave out the blankets and pads since they just slide around. Have lots of water for them. Dog specific first aid items such as EMT Gel, and maybe even a stapler for wounds (works great on people too!).

But my advice for the most part is to just leave them at home. The desert if full of pokey and bitey things, and pets seem to love both. At the end of the day you and your pets will be happier if they are left at home.

vanilla_gorilla

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great advice Trey, I have thought about taking my dogs out,because I would love to have them around, but just taking them to the dog park can be a hazard to them riding in the cab, as you mention the emergency braking.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Last time we did a run in Phoenix, one of the guys brought along his dog, poor guy was puking in the truck. That was when I realized that pets and Raptors in the dirt aren't a good mix.

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
My dog is fine when we off road. I took out my supercabs back bench seat so he has a good fat foam mat and pillows all around. When the car is stationary he wonders everywhere butnas soon as we head off weather it be highway or trails he lays down and stays close to the floor of the cab, hes smart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since there has been tons of pet pictures on the forum here lately, it is clear that Raptor owners are also pet lovers. So I decided to give out some advice for offroading with your pet.

Don't.

I can break it down a little further, because there are plenty of cases where it's ok. For the most part, it's not. Your pets aren't given the luxury of bolstered seats and seat belts. They don't even have the cognisance to realize that the car is moving any different than it normally should.

I have taken my dogs off-roading in the mountains of Colorado with little issues, but it was slow speed, and even at that the dogs had trouble getting used to the rough stuff (while in the cab). A high speed brake check would have sent them flying, hurting them, and potentially us.

If you are going to take them off-roading, put them in a crate that is just bigger than they are, and secure it in the bed with good tie-downs and mounting points, leave out the blankets and pads since they just slide around. Have lots of water for them. Dog specific first aid items such as EMT Gel, and maybe even a stapler for wounds (works great on people too!).

But my advice for the most part is to just leave them at home. The desert if full of pokey and bitey things, and pets seem to love both. At the end of the day you and your pets will be happier if they are left at home.

Great advice trey...

tikicult

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The speed and bumpiness is probably also incredibly stressful to a dog. They have no way of really letting you know that they are uncomfortable and stressed out.