Off-Roading and Got Stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jelischer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had my Screw for the past 2 months and have really enjoyed getting out on the trails and having fun. This truck as far exceeded my expectations... with that said, I am looking for some input from the forum. I went through a "puddle" while going through a trail and got stuck. I did get a little bit of water in through the passenger door, but I am not too worried about that. What I am worried about is water getting into the transmission and rear.

What are your thoughts? Should I drain the fluids? Does anyone know where the breather hose is located for the transmission? I learned my lesson on this one hahahah.... it may have looked like a small puddle buuuuuuut I was wrong.

Attachments

• DSC_0952.jpg
    DSC_0952.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 236

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had my Screw for the past 2 months and have really enjoyed getting out on the trails and having fun. This truck as far exceeded my expectations... with that said, I am looking for some input from the forum. I went through a "puddle" while going through a trail and got stuck. I did get a little bit of water in through the passenger door, but I am not too worried about that. What I am worried about is water getting into the transmission and rear.

What are your thoughts? Should I drain the fluids? Does anyone know where the breather hose is located for the transmission? I learned my lesson on this one hahahah.... it may have looked like a small puddle buuuuuuut I was wrong.

The vents on the axle are high enough not to worry and as long as the water wasnt above the transmission its not a problem... the vent on the axle is level with the bottom of the bed and the trans is on the top of it

OP
OP
J

jelischer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The vents on the axle are high enough not to worry and as long as the water wasnt above the transmission its not a problem... the vent on the axle is level with the bottom of the bed and the trans is on the top of it

Yeah, the water was in the bed. I was a good 30" in the water. There seemed to be a huge rut that got the the back passenger rear wheel jammed up. The truck was running the entire time, but I was sitting there for a good hour before the 3rd vehicle was able to pull me out. It took a 1 ton ford to finally yank me out. All other attempts failed... if that didn't work, it would have been $1,000 to get towed out.

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The manual says the truck is designed for 30" fording depth... you would think that is a conservative number if that's whats stated in the owners manual? I wouldn't worry about changing all of the fluids unless it was a fair bit deeper than that, especially if you kept it running the whole time.

NY SCREW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
that sucks reminds me of my tacoma.......i had about 2 inches of water in side the truck all the way up to my speakers....truck was stuck running for roughly 4 an half hours .....i didnt have to change anything other then a belt or 2 a pulley an my motor oil this occurred when i had 500 miles on the truck an it ran good till the day traded in with 34000 miles on it 3 weeks ago ....i think you should be fine just make sure to thoroughly clean it i mean thoroughly good luck......the truck was deeper then the picture shows roughly up to the tacoma emblem on the door this pic was after the first attempt recovery.

Attachments

• taco.jpg
    taco.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 97

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
Whats it cost to flush a diff? A lot cheaper than an E-Locker! Just sayin... The front does seem higher than the back (lucky you) so my guess is that the trans is fine but again. The cost of flushing is a lot less than replacing it. Depending on your mileage it might be a good time to put some nice full synth diff/trans fluid in. That's what I would do anyway. :waytogo:

At 70,000mi...
i-GVK6SM2.jpg

At 140,000mi with a newly installed S/C...
i-z6fSbFX.jpg

Last edited:

LVdezertdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has been discussed a while back and I think the thread is worth looking at since you said the bed went under. I believe your vent for the rear differential went under the water. I know where it is located on the 2010's but do not know on the later models. Your choice on changing but I will guess there was some water intrusion.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/differential-breather-relocation-5766/

OP
OP
J

jelischer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would change just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the input guys and holly crap is that truck in some serious water hahhaha. I found the breather for the rear and there is noway that it was under water. It is located on the driver side tucked up with one of the pieces of frame that the bed bolts to. I will still have everything drained. I don't need to fork out the cash for a new rear and new tran.

Thanks again guys!!

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
If you find yourself around water often I would extend every breather you can get access to. The Yota guys used to run the rear breather inside the fuel filler door. Not a bad idea...