Off Road Modes at Higher Speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

13raptorcrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100% depends on the conditions. Sometimes ORM is good, sometimes it ****** me off. Definitely use manual shifting for a lot of off road driving. Then it doesnt shift (up or down) when I don't want it.
Sport mode On or Off when I am drifting on a wider trail, full On or Sport mode when on a narrow trail and or in certain snow covered trails.
To each his own. It is what ever works best for your driving style.

Fb73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off road mode, sport mode, 2nd until I scare the shit out of myself or get stuck then 4hi.

Feel like you lol !!

2WD with Sport mode is fun but it involves some driving skills if you loose control, recover a 3 ton truck with 410 HP can be scary, believe me haha !

If wet I would prefer 4Hi, snow is 4Hi for sure, 2WD for dry trails fun...Sport mode in all cases...Sometimes I lock the diff but honestly I don't drive the truck hard enough to exploit it

OP
OP
WyoStorm

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good discussion so far. I'm just trying to get a wide range of views on what you guys feel works the best in higher speed off-road conditions. I'm especially curious as to what you're using in the generally dry, gravel/dirt roads when driving fast. How about tire pressure? Are you lowering it some when you have the time? Just talking higher speed dirt or gravel roads in general.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good discussion so far. I'm just trying to get a wide range of views on what you guys feel works the best in higher speed off-road conditions. I'm especially curious as to what you're using in the generally dry, gravel/dirt roads when driving fast. How about tire pressure? Are you lowering it some when you have the time? Just talking higher speed dirt or gravel roads in general.

No offroad mode, tires to 30-35, if changed at all, TC off, and manual shifting and hit it.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
The biggest change you'll notice at high speed on gravel/hard pack is airing down to at least 30. So much more control. Then at least one push on trac control.

svt_reid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where I live it's relatively flat. And there are dirt and gravel roads everywhere. So that's generally some pretty high speed stuff. I've never given it much thought but I usually turn TC all the way off by holding down the button and then offroad mode. And then manually shift so I can drift the corners. Unless it's really wet, then I'll use 4hi

DeltaFox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually I run at 2wd in ORM with the diff locked. I'll switch to 4 hi in the mud and deep sand. But I like getting all squirelly on the corners. Something special about getting on the gas and feeling that rear end break loose coming out.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For the dry hard pack, I'm typically in 2 wheel, tc off or sport mode. Off-road mode on. I like that it keeps the gears in the lower power band.

Although they say it makes no changes, when the truck is tuned (5 star tune), ORM didn't seem to behave the same. If I have ORM off, then I will lock out gears 6, 5, & 4.

In fast flat snow typically the same, but with tc in sport mode. It won't let it get out of hand.

Typically I don't air down much, but may start to try it. Although, as of now the Duratracs are at 38 psi and it held the road great at snoball and at the white lake run last week.

Thank You for your donations to Avery. We hit our goal!

Yukon Joe
Snoball 3
Delta Lead
www.runraptorrun.com

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
Always 2wd Off-road mode, advanctrac off, rear diff locked. Makes for some tail-happiness and offroad mode allows for great throttle balancing to hold some amazing drifts.

Damn i love this truck