Off Road Modes at Higher Speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just curious what modes you prefer when travelling off road at higher speeds (say 60 mph+ up to 80-90+) and do you have favorite modes for say high speed gravel road/dirt road vs high speed sandy washes, etc.

Most of my higher speed sections are fairly solid dirt or gravel roads and I'm generally just running 2WD with Sport mode on. ORM sometimes. Are you guys running 4WD mode more? Diff lock in 2WD?

Just looking for input on what modes you are liking in higher speed driving in generally dirt, gravel, desert washes, etc.

Also, do you tend to lower your tire pressure. And if so, to what pressure?

Summary so far with 19 responses (only looking for dry, hard packed, or gravel type high speed roads (maybe high speed washes too)):

2WD: 16
4WD: 3
ORM: 16
Rear Diff Locked: 8
Rear Diff Locked Occasionally: 2
TC Sport: 4
TC Off: 7
TC Sport or Off: 4
Manual shifting: 3
30-35 PSI: 3

Some posts were not completed so didn't make any assumptions unless you mentioned rear diff locked then I know you're using ORM. Feel free to amend your post if it's not complete. Looking for more input from others.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12951

I usually have 4WD High, ORM, Diffs locked and either Sport mode or Off. The runs I've been on have a mixture of speeds so I use those so I don't have to mess with it when driving. Seems to handle fine when going over 60mph. 2WD seems to be more fun but 4WD seems to give me more control or the feeling that I do. LOL

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends for me on road conditions. I like to have the truck in the gear I want it to be in not what the engineers designed they feel is the best. In wet or slippery stuff Im not a fan of ORM cause it tends to downshift at the moment I do not want it to and can cause a slide Like slowing into the turn. In dirt I run it on most of the time

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Depending on grip, I prefer to use 4wd. I like the control and the way the truck feels in turns over 2wd. JMO.

If you read through the raptor specific manual, you will see how all the different functions act with ORM on or off. I don't have it in front of me.

Diff lock on will give you more rear end slide, and more grip in certain situations, but depending on your "mode" it kicks out at different speeds. Again consult the manual.

I prefer ORM throttle, and if I could I would drive all the time. The big issue on the truck IMO is the brake throttle override, really screws up in trying to get the truck to do what I want it to do.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2wd off road mode and traction control as far off as i can make it. doesnt matter the type of terrain. i have never locked my diff and only use 4wd when necessary

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you even drive at higher speeds though other than on pavement?
you should come with me out in the nevada desert or the sand dunes. bet you wont keep up. just because i dont have 3.0 shocks and cant drive over rock gardens or whoops at high speeds, doesnt mean i cant drive my truck.

D

Deleted member 12951

you should come with me out in the nevada desert or the sand dunes. bet you wont keep up. just because i dont have 3.0 shocks and cant drive over rock gardens or whoops at high speeds, doesnt mean i cant drive my truck.

I thought you drift. :crazy:
So guess you are careful on those far away runs since you have to get home. Would love to get out to the Nevada desert sometime, that would be awesome