Off road air - Different option?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12951
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Ah ok you want portable got it! Also the differences between the two might be constant duty or not that might be why one is faster than the other just guessing here lol

The 400P is 33% duty and the 450P is 100% duty both at 100psi

Sent using Tapatalk

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I have a different look at things. I"ve been off roading for 40 years. Every aspect of 4 wheeling. I have used air tools like impact, rachet etc. a couple of times and I had regular hand tools with me to do the job as well. That includes changing axles etc. in the hammer trails and many hard core rock crawling trails around the southwest and beyond.
I used to carry CO2 but it was a larger bottle to take care of airing up large 37 to 40 inch tires. C02 is good to move to other areas and run air tools. But like I said, I've only used them a couple of times. My on board air is a 12 year old outback air compressor that I mounted in an ammo can and can move it with pig tails for battery or I have it mounted in the back of my truck and can control the power with one of the accessory switchs on the Raptor.
DSCF2532.jpg

Compressor on the right, tools on the left. As you can see it doesn't take up much room and I can take it out and move it if necessary or use it in a different vehicle.
DSCF2513.jpg

It has never failed me and I don't have to worry about failure and running out of air. It's a high volume, 100% duty cycle with a fan to keep it cool while running. I do have a 1 gal VIAR tank that I can attach and run an impact for a quick burst to break a lug nut off if necessary and on a long trip.
I guess what I am saying is with all the years and miles and trails I've completed, I don't think it is necessary with a Raptor to have the necessity for air tools. I can still jack up the truck and spin a lug wrench.
picsfromiphone108.jpg
With tires, if you get a flat, You can usually plug it or if not then change it. Having a good portable temp or perm on board air with a good compressor is all you need in my opinion. 2 spares is also good if you are on a long trip with lots of off roading.

Mil T

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you need to ask yourself; how often will I need to air up tires? once a month, once a week? How often will I be out off roading in my truck That I need to have this option?
The Raptor has big tires and you'll need a large C02 bottle for these big tires. Mounting is another concern of a bottle and having to have a good regulator and protect it.

Viar and other good company's have portable units in cases that work very well and can be stashed easily in the bed or inside the cab.

Mil T

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

Thanks Mil T, appreciate your pictures and comments, especially about the tank. I've gave up on the gas compressor idea and now thinking this direction.

A portable compressor with a tank.

Smittybilt Part 2781 - 5.65 CFM Air Compressor-RH1

Smittybilt Part 99210-2 - 2.5 Gallon Air Tank-RH1

And if needed the C02, for $225 doesn't seem like a bad deal.

Smittybilt Part 2747 - Compact Air System-RH1

I think this compressor and tank is a killer deal with 5.65 cfm. That's a lot of air for a small compressor like this.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

I will be getting a TMX Covet bed cage that I need to let them know if I am getting a tank or not so they can add the tabs before powder coating it. I am thinking the compressor for now but have them add the tabs anyways for the tank bracket, just in case. At this point, I am not sure how often I will be off road. I've had 4x4 trucks for over 10 years but never done anything hardcore. With the raptor that is hopefully going to be delivered this month, I plan on going on more off road adventures and just like to be prepared. My thought is, if something happens that Air could of helped, I would be kicking myself for not getting something.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951