Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > Ford Raptor Forums - General Information > Off-Roading Your Raptor
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Off-Roading Your Raptor

MN MI WI trails?

This is a discussion on MN MI WI trails? within the Off-Roading Your Raptor forums, part of the Ford Raptor Forums - General Information category!
Awaiting my first truck in 20 yrs and it's a raptor. Now I'd like to know where I can use ...

User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eco_beast_raptor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 11:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default MN MI WI trails?
Awaiting my first truck in 20 yrs and it's a raptor. Now I'd like to know where I can use it aside from daily driving it. Any trail recommendations in upper Midwest? I'd even consider the black hills area.

nowata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Silver Lake sand dunes in MI is popular. Not sure about the other areas. Phoenix Off Road in Ohio is where HAVOC is held. Congrats on the purchase.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

depends on waht you are looking for
Wooded trails up north in wisconsin and michigan
Sand dunes in michigan, thats the most fun
Indiana has the badlands, which is a huge old gravel mine. nows its a nice terrain park
Napp E Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Any decent trails (relatively) near Minneapolis? According to the MN DNR Gandy Dancer is the closest.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by Jred2255 View Post
Any decent trails (relatively) near Minneapolis? According to the MN DNR Gandy Dancer is the closest.
The jeep type trails in the Northwoods here will be on the tight side for a Raptor...it'll get all scratched up...if that's your gig. There are also mudding areas to play in around MN/WI.

You might find something here: Off-Road Trails : Explore Minnesota. Most are ATV trails. There are some jeep trails in the above. I've not driven any of the jeep roads.

There are 100's of miles of gravel around the state...not really off road though. I've driven these around the state. I'm guessing that you are looking for something more challenging.

The further west or southwest that you go you'll find more Raptor friendly trails.

I've done some fun driving around the Black Hills as well as in the Bighorns with my 24 year old F250. Get the National Forest maps...they have all of the roads and trails marked.

Be aware on the trails. I got over the F250's head last summer in WY on a quite tight trail in the Bighorns. The trail I was driving up suddenly morphed into an ATV and finally a dirt bike trail. After at least a 100 point u-turn due to the trees I was able to get out. Almost had to hike out to find a chain saw. The map showed that the trail went through. Erosion caused the morphing. The map didn't know that, and I was foolish enough to give it a try without walking it first:).

The Raptor would have had an equally hard time here. Plus I would have been much more upset hurting the expensive new truck vs the '93.

We live 1/2 time in remote West TX with thousands of miles of great driving, gravel/dirt, roads/trails, with steep up/down, rocky fun. Our house sits 3.5 miles off road on bad gravel or worse. No trees out there but lotsa cactus, so you can still get your Raptor scratched up if you want to. Come on out!

If you find some trails in MN/WI, let me know. I'll be getting my 2018 Raptor in Aug. if all goes well.

And when you do go out on the trails bring at least some minimum gear to help get you unstuck.

Have fun!

Last edited by wheelman55; 06-18-2017 at 07:48 PM.
wheelman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Originally Posted by wheelman55 View Post
The jeep type trails in the Northwoods here will be on the tight side for a Raptor...it'll get all scratched up...if that's your gig. There are also mudding areas to play in around MN/WI.

You might find something here: Off-Road Trails : Explore Minnesota. Most are ATV trails. There are some jeep trails in the above. I've not driven any of the jeep roads.

There are 100's of miles of gravel around the state...not really off road though. I've driven these around the state. I'm guessing that you are looking for something more challenging.

The further west or southwest that you go you'll find more Raptor friendly trails.

I've done some fun driving around the Black Hills as well as in the Bighorns with my 24 year old F250. Get the National Forest maps...they have all of the roads and trails marked.

Be aware on the trails. I got over the F250's head last summer in WY on a quite tight trail in the Bighorns. The trail I was driving up suddenly morphed into an ATV and finally a dirt bike trail. After at least a 100 point u-turn due to the trees I was able to get out. Almost had to hike out to find a chain saw. The map showed that the trail went through. Erosion caused the morphing. The map didn't know that, and I was foolish enough to give it a try without walking it first:).

The Raptor would have had an equally hard time here. Plus I would have been much more upset hurting the expensive new truck vs the '93.

We live 1/2 time in remote West TX with thousands of miles of great driving, gravel/dirt, roads/trails, with steep up/down, rocky fun. Our house sits 3.5 miles off road on bad gravel or worse. No trees out there but lotsa cactus, so you can still get your Raptor scratched up if you want to. Come on out!

If you find some trails in MN/WI, let me know. I'll be getting my 2018 Raptor in Aug. if all goes well.

And when you do go out on the trails bring at least some minimum gear to help get you unstuck.

Have fun!
I appreciate all of the info!

I keep my RZR Turbo out in Colorado, I would love to get the Raptor out there as well but 16 hours of driving each way is a deal breaker at the moment.

Look forward to seeing pics of that '18 when you take delivery.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

I've recently been up to Spider Lake ATV trails (MN). They have around 20 miles of OHV trails.
However, these trails are tight for a full size truck. I had to listen to every branch scrap along the sides of the truck. Overall good time, just don't go up on a holiday weekend, gets kinda crowded.
Pic taken from my buddy's 4Runner
Attached Thumbnails
g0282457.jpg  
Jred2255 likes this.
eco_beast_raptor is offline   Reply With Quote