Ice racing and tire pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nah_tan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody here do offloading on ice in the winter? A buddy of mine has invited me to some ice track days on a frozen lake in central Wisconsin. Most of them are running studded Miatas and the like but people race everything. Curious what tire pressures are recommended to run with the stock bead locks. I'm installing an onboard air system so Ill be able to experiment easily.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
as low as you can. on functioning beadlocks you should be able to dump it down to like 8 lol.

on ice like that i would say somewhere around low 20s. honestly though it doesnt matter what you air down too. without studs in your tires, if it really is 100% ice you are going to not be able to do anything lol. slide city with little control.

OP
OP
N

nah_tan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as low as you can. on functioning beadlocks you should be able to dump it down to like 8 lol.

on ice like that i would say somewhere around low 20s. honestly though it doesn't matter what you air down too. without studs in your tires, if it really is 100% ice you are going to not be able to do anything lol. slide city with little control.

Good to know, thx. It looks like the racing surface is hardpacked snow, they basically plow the course after it snows. Hopefully not clear ice lol!

saym14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let us know how you did. The Miata is very light and has a very low CG. I m not sure u have a chance

Reaction score
Old thread but thought I'd share my experience with ice racing with the raptor. I've only done it once (so far) but it was a blast! Its wasn't competitive, it was mostly for funs.
I ran 30ish psi on OE KO2s and the truck hooked surprisingly well! Also was in baja 4H, and played with rear diff locked, not locked seemed better. I wasn't the fastest out there but I wasn't the slowest, so much of that really comes down to the driver's skill level. Of course I couldn't keep up with the majority of the studded cars. But just in the one day I felt I learned a lot about control on the ice and how to transfer the weight to get through turns faster.
Its not usually smooth, slick ice, snow can help with traction and if studded cars are running they help tear up the ice and that can help with traction so you don't just slip and slide all over. I only had 1 unplanned 180 degree spin out.
I plan on getting out there again next season. IIRA of MN is the organization I raced with.
_R3_1639-X4.jpg

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Old thread but thought I'd share my experience with ice racing with the raptor. I've only done it once (so far) but it was a blast! Its wasn't competitive, it was mostly for funs.
I ran 30ish psi on OE KO2s and the truck hooked surprisingly well! Also was in baja 4H, and played with rear diff locked, not locked seemed better. I wasn't the fastest out there but I wasn't the slowest, so much of that really comes down to the driver's skill level. Of course I couldn't keep up with the majority of the studded cars. But just in the one day I felt I learned a lot about control on the ice and how to transfer the weight to get through turns faster.
Its not usually smooth, slick ice, snow can help with traction and if studded cars are running they help tear up the ice and that can help with traction so you don't just slip and slide all over. I only had 1 unplanned 180 degree spin out.
I plan on getting out there again next season. IIRA of MN is the organization I raced with.
View attachment 121126
Next time roll up with some Frozen Rush take offs lol
Red-Bull-Frozen-Rush-1727.jpg