How to jump ?!?!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not an expert by any means and still trying to get better. Best at nose diving as that is easy to do. LOL

This is what I was told by someone else during a raptor run. I was trying to perfect this and really don't know how great of advice it really is so take it as its worth and I am sure someone else will correct it.

I was told to gun it right before the jump and if you can time it perfectly, let off the gas when your front tires get air. Concept is you don't want the back tires grabbing while the front is in the air, thus causing it to push the front down. If in the air and you have the gas on, wheels are going to spin quite a bit more since no traction and you don't want those spinning too fast when it lands so let off the gas completely when in the air and hit it after you land.

Good advice, but timing this can prove to be much easier said than done. Especially in the time alloted by the amount of air most of these trucks will be getting and a somewhat slow drive-by-wire throttle response (even tuned).

Probably best to start on jumps that have longer inclines, enough for the suspension to settle after the change of plane, and then land on a decline rather than flat surface.

Last edited:

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
http://youtu.be/Fhfj2HQegtA

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

If your going to get scared don't do it! Do not push on the breaks, do not hit Full out if you've never taken that jump before. Remember it's baja inspired not a TT.

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somewhere on the Ford website they actually offer tips for handling small jumps, whoops, etc. I'll have to see if I can find it. There's a ton of videos on there. How to handle deep water, etc. I saw it about a year ago.

Stickman89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Get in truck

2. Drive to Polaris dealership

3. Pull wallet out and remove high limit card (black AMEX, Visa ect).

4. Purchase Polaris RZR 1000

5. thank me later

I'd rather put $20+k in my truck and drive/and enjoy it everyday instead of watching it collect dust lol but that because I've been there already way before the rzr 1000 came out.

4e5a659a4198dfca523e93bdf9a01db2.jpg

Jump on my friend

a40ec0dbeaf68deec26f6523e2122e3d.jpg

Molten Orange from NW Indiana

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
I've never lawn darted or dragged my ass and I've been off of most every type of jump there is. All are different. If its a jump shorter than the truck and steep avoid it. Unless you balance out and go big, the front will slam down right as the back wheels clear the lip. I go around 1/2 throttle and let off once the front wheels leave the lip. NEVER have your throttle on when landing. The sudden catch of traction can break an axle shaft or the entire rear diff assembly. If you dont break something then it could launch you off in a bad direction which could be bad or worse depending on the terrain.

The only thing I ever did was trying to clear a table top with a dip in the middle. Instead of taking it slow, I tried to clear it. Well.... I came up a truck length short. The front wheels landed, bringing the rear down and popped the front up off the edge of the downward back section. This ultimately resulted in a sky wheelie and then slamming the front of the truck hard into the dirt, sending a cloud of dirt up over the hood. Everything was fine besides about a 4x1 tiny dent in the right lower portion of the silver in the stock front bumper. No one has ever noticed it.

Just take physics into the equation and you should come out unscathed and with a HUUUUGEE smile on your face on the other side... And an empty wallet after deciding you want to upgrade.

Also, take the raptors low approach angle into account. With force of speed forcing the front of the truck into the base of the jump, you could technically endo the raptor (Which ive never seen before) Most of the time it just bashes the hell out of your skidplate. Then its time for an RPG high approach angle bumper!

rsscoggis

Reaction score
I have never launched a truck but have plenty of experience with dirt bikes.

Depending on how you launch off the jump, you can adjust your the angle (nose up or nose down) by either applying throttle or by hitting the brakes. The angle of the jump, the harshness or the lip, how you preload your suspension, and your approach speed typically determine your angle when leaving the face of the jump. However, on dirt bikes at least, if you are nose up while in the air, then hitting the rear brake (to stop the rotation of the rear wheel) will bring the nose down. If you are nose down after leaving the jump, then you can apply throttle (to rotate the rear wheel faster) and that will bring the nose up. All of this assumes that your angle is not too extreme in one direction or the other and that you have enough air to make adjustments.

At least it works on dirt bikes, I would assume that the same would hold true for a truck but the massive weight difference between a dirt bike and a truck may negate any effect of braking or throttling - so attempt at your own risk. I will say I crashed a number of times while ultimately learning how to control a bike while jumping and I wouldn't want to have the same learning experience in a $50K truck!