Gas Pour Review

• Thread starter Deleted member 12951
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

As I am getting ready for TRR 2014, I've been buying off-road supplies. One thing I was going to need was a couple good gas cans and a good way to pour gas into the tank that was quick and hopefully spill free.

Most people were suggesting the scepter gas cans. I found those are not as easy to get and find in red. Bear in mind I really didn't look really hard though. So before folks start responding that I just should of gotten the scepter can and spout, that isn't what this review is about. In the long run, that was most likely the better choice. I don't have one to compare but please don't tell me that I should of done that instead, you are probably right.

I ended up getting two of the Jerry can's made by Wavian off of Amazon.

I also got the pour spout that goes with it but was concerned if it was going to be difficult to use or leak. So I spent a little extra money and purchased the TeraPump and a SuperSiphon. Today I poured 5 gallons into my tank using each pouring device. The winner in my book, actually surprised me. I grabbed my stop watch and decided to time how fast I could put 5 gallons into my tank using each device.

When I first got the TeraPump, it looks like a kids toy and actually gave it a not so good review on Amazon. I was debating on sending it back but figured I could use it around the house and filling the lawn mower and weed trimmer type of stuff.
TERAPUMP TRHD05 2D Battery Operated Liquid, Gas, Water Transfer Pump w/ Easy handle : Amazon.com : Automotive

The SuperSiphon seems popular so I got this one
http://amzn.com/B000EH0ORI

The spout that is for the Jerry can
Amazon.com: NATO Jerry Gas Can NOZZLE / SPOUT for the NATO Military Spec. **CURRENT MODEL** Jerry can RED: Everything Else

Because the TeraPump seemed to me to be the clear loser, I did it first. Put two D batteries in it from our kitchen drawer. No idea how old there were but when I turned it on, it worked but didn't seem too loud so no telling how much juice the batteries had but I went ahead and proceeded.

TeraPump: Very easy to use. Just stick it into the can (had it in the bed) and the pump part fit perfectly in the Ford capless filler without having to use anything to open the flap. Flip the switch and started timing it. It emptied the can with very little in the bottom (granted I was angling the can as it was getting towards the bottom) in about 2 minutes. Wow, quicker than I would of thought. It was easy, started working right away and no spills.

Jerry Can spout: Goes on strong and clamps really good on the can. The spout fits into the capless filler and open the door without any issues, I was impressed with that. The spout is ribbed and it did tend to catch a little on the tank hole. Because I had to be careful not to tilt the can too soon and spill gas out of the spout, it took me a couple tries to get it where I felt comfortable. Once I got it in the tank, I started timing. It went quick, took about 90 seconds to empty the can and I got it all out by turning the can to an angle. I am thinking I am going to get one of those pour straps and I might be able to get going quicker. More about this later, on the spout.

SuperSiphon: I couldn't get the hose into the capless filler as it wasn't wide enough to hit the two tabs to release the door. So I had to get the funnel that comes with our trucks and use that. Luckily the siphon hose fit perfectly in the funnel and I was able to push it a past the funnel opening for a nice tight fit. Took me awhile to get the gas flowing. The tube just came out of the package so it was difficult to keep it from trying to roll up on me. Once it started flowing, I timed it. After I got to about to almost 4 minutes, it stopped, guess it caught some air due to it rolling. I didn't want to take longer because this was the clear loser. I stopped and decided I would put the spout on and finish pouring it in. Unless the tube is really straight, it will be difficult to get all the gas out. I wasn't impressed with this device at all.

As I was pouring the gas from the can using the spout that earlier did the very best, it started leaking. Thought I did something wrong and started over, did see a small leak so I stopped. I grabbed the TeraPump and finished getting the rest in the tank. I then began to inspect the spout. The end of it is a plastic piece and there is a metal screen filter in it, that was kinda nice. Well it was leaking around the plastic where it meets the metal part of the spout. Sure enough it came right off. It looks to be put on it with some type of glue and apparently sticking it into the capless filler and the ribbed part catching a little, it pretty much made this spout worthless. I am probably going to send it back to Amazon or figure out a better glue to use that holds better.

So yes, it was the quickest to pour from the can but unless the spout can be fixed, I won't be using this method unfortunately. Considering how easy the TeraPump was to use and get started plus not having to stand there and hold a can a gas, the extra 30 seconds makes the TeraPump the clear winner for me. I was pleasantly surprised. Now I will see how it works at TRR and report back in April to let anyone interested in this review on how it held up.

Attachments

• can.jpg
    can.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 139
  • 3pours.jpg
    3pours.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 98
  • pour.jpg
    pour.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 131
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
that's the cap of the fuel jug minus the jug.

Like this
fueljug-combo.jpg

That suck you cant make it fit. Did TMX build your setup yet?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Not sure. I actually don't pick it up until April 9th. What is the dimensions of that jug, isn't it square?

From what I can tell, it pours in about 70 secs?
So yeah, worst case scenario, the TeraPump is going to take a little less than a minute longer.

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would say about a min to dump 5 gal. Nothing mechanical to break either.
I can measure mine for ya. Message TMX and see if they can make it work for you.

Krab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like using the VP racing fuel jugs with the pour spout they sell. Looks like the one a few posts up. They work pretty well.