Ford Raptor Trail Project - Maps of where to run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First off, it was great chatting with you earlier today m3dragon and I think what you're doing is pretty cool. I'll speak for myself here but I imagine some of the others who have chimed in probably have some similar feelings.

It's not necessarily the sharing of the files to fellow Raptor owners, it's the loss of the courtesy of being asked (edit) and having the option to say yes or no on a case by case basis. Not only were the early runs I planned open to any of the members of FRF but I also shared them with others who asked after the runs.

As myself and other members who I've become close friends with started wanting longer and more challenging runs the difficulty in mapping them really ramped up. It sounds like you know how to map, so you know it takes hours and hours of trial and error to figure out how to map routes (maybe it doesn't and I'm just slow :biggrin:). Furthermore, hours of research checking maps, reading various trip reports, reading guide books, scouring the internet for interesting POI's. Now you have to sit down and figure out how to put it all together which can be painstaking. Especially, when you have a wife giving the you the stink eye for being on the computer for 3 hours strait lol.

Then comes the time to go validate the route because if you're going to take 15-20 trucks out into the middle of nowhere you better damn well better have the route validated. Needles to say, it takes a lot of work and expense. For the Carson 500, we probably spent at least $500/truck in expenses to prerun the route. Granted, we had a blast but we also went through quit an ordeal as well with ihavegas breaking a spindle and his wife having to drive 8 hours out to drop off a spare I luckily had in my garage. Feel free to read all about it here: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f112/nevada-high-desert-trip-report-33066/

This' a big part of why we formed the Raptor Expeditions club was to help cover the cost finding new routes and continuing to offer fellow Raptor owners the opportunity to go out on validated routes with fellow prepared offroaders (because if one person has a problem, we all do).

Again, I think what you're doing is a great but for obvious reasons I can't share my files.

Anyhow, looking forward to hopefully making your BBQ.

Last edited:
OP
OP
m3dragon

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bigg50, thanks for the chat as well. Did not know this was your screen name. I understand why some maps are not shared as it can take time to make them and check them IE pre-run. It took me years to make the paved routes database which I share with people. I had no help with that site but it gets a lot of use now and I keep adding more to it.

If people want to help great and if not just means it will take longer to get the routes posted. I have been organizing car events for over 12 years and founded a national Euro / exotic car club in 2006 which I just sold. Even then all the routes and drives I do are as a hobby to keep it simple and fun.

Your Raptor Expedition runs show all the work you put into the events. As we chatted you guys are the pinnacle of those type of baja group events. The runs I will be doing are more mid to entry level all truck outings. Kind of why I wanted to chat about that "topic" as being the new kid on the block I don't want to blind side anyone. I already learned about the BLM permits and contacts for the area because of that "topic" and being worried about flying poo and flak (still expect it). I hope to be part of your club sooner than later once I can get all the required joining items.

One thing with mapping, I guess it is a IT thing. The route RaptorWifey shared in the thread had a image of the rough area they went trailing. I already studied and re-mapped it in about 30ish minutes. Even made some "suggested trails". Not saying it is 100% accurate but based on the map and what I can see it makes the only logical sense. I did notice that area you have to really hunt for dirt. Sorry gang back east. That is why if people don't want to map it I don't mind. I can do it pretty fast I would say.

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

Here's the thread Joe was talking about..like I said, you seem to be mapping trails, so I'm sure you appreciate the level of work 500+ miles of trails in a run entails... Route planners you deserve some more recognition - FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor

yes I do =)

Posted some suggestions to hopefully help cut your mapping time.

Dan06

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think this is an awesome idea. When not working (or while working) I spend the majority of my time on the go. I have two round trips cross country in the next few months, once this yrs work is completed, planned. I can point someone in the direction of places I have / do wheel, but nothing super organized down on paper, just getting started with the GPS.

Personally if I took the time to map any adventures "I would" want to share.

"It ain't no fun if the homies can't have none."
Snoop Dogg

RaptorWifey

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
FRF Lady
Reaction score
Ummm wow..., it's pretty fricken amazing how you think you have this shit on lock....especially since I posted a file of the route we actually ran. How cute that you think you can edit my run file in 30 minutes and be correct...you are so far from the ******* truth that it is ridiculous..I'd love to see you run it and what would happen..I'm very sad that people might consider you as a reputable source.. I gave you a gift and you responded like a ********? Why would anyone help you?

Bigg50, thanks for the chat as well. Did not know this was your screen name. I understand why some maps are not shared as it can take time to make them and check them IE pre-run. It took me years to make the paved routes database which I share with people. I had no help with that site but it gets a lot of use now and I keep adding more to it.

If people want to help great and if not just means it will take longer to get the routes posted. I have been organizing car events for over 12 years and founded a national Euro / exotic car club in 2006 which I just sold. Even then all the routes and drives I do are as a hobby to keep it simple and fun.

Your Raptor Expedition runs show all the work you put into the events. As we chatted you guys are the pinnacle of those type of baja group events. The runs I will be doing are more mid to entry level all truck outings. Kind of why I wanted to chat about that "topic" as being the new kid on the block I don't want to blind side anyone. I already learned about the BLM permits and contacts for the area because of that "topic" and being worried about flying poo and flak (still expect it). I hope to be part of your club sooner than later once I can get all the required joining items.

One thing with mapping, I guess it is a IT thing. The route RaptorWifey shared in the thread had a image of the rough area they went trailing. I already studied and re-mapped it in about 30ish minutes. Even made some "suggested trails". Not saying it is 100% accurate but based on the map and what I can see it makes the only logical sense. I did notice that area you have to really hunt for dirt. Sorry gang back east. That is why if people don't want to map it I don't mind. I can do it pretty fast I would say.

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

yes I do =)

Posted some suggestions to hopefully help cut your mapping time.

It also had a Google earth file showing exactly what we did run. Idiot!... so cute that you remapped it in 30 minutes, especially since you are from the other half of the country. Please post it, I'd love to shoot it all down as I'm sure it includes a bunch of gated walking trails....so sad how fast you've lost my respect...

Last edited:
OP
OP
m3dragon

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good lord what just happened?? :think:

New guy is trying to start a project.
New guy said some things and pissed off the old guard apparently which was not the intention and appologizes.
Members are on one side or the other on sharing routes.

That should summarize the thread to this point. I will leave this post up for a bit and the other ones but I will delete them to keep the thread from getting to long.

I am not sure how this turned into a war thread but I apologize for my part in it.

To respond to RaptorWifey, I did not mean any disrespect in my post. The Google KLM you shared was helpful but the JPG file you posted below was not what you ran to my understanding. If I am in error please let me know. I removed all the blue and purple and also made it a GPX file. Not everyone out there knows how to convert KLM or even know how you use Google Earth.

This way if a member finds this thread and the route they can download it for there device / app. If after doing this work for fellow members I am still a tool as you posted then that is your opinion. Sorry to have rubbed you the wrong way as that was not the intention. Good luck on your treks and safe journeys.

Map reference to what was made vs what was posted:

NC-Elizabethtown-trails.jpg

-------

Ummm wow..., it's pretty fricken amazing how you think you have this shit on lock....especially since I poste. Idiot!... so cute that you remapped it in 30 minutes, especially since you are from the other half of the country. Please post it, I'd love to shoot it all down as I'm sure it includes a bunch of gated walking trails....so sad how fast you've lost my respect...

Google Earth File.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xah6uzf6av67fw4/white lake fire post run2.kmz

Original Route vs. final route
(The red is our tracks while the purple and blue are what we were not able to do)
Be aware that there is more we have not yet explored
10157333_829787941798_2096764059828320857_n.jpg

Let us know if you have any questions, I'd be glad to help.

Thanks,

Nicole

RaptorWifey

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
FRF Lady
Reaction score
New guy is trying to start a project.
New guy said some things and pissed off the old guard apparently which was not the intention and appologizes.
Members are on one side or the other on sharing routes.

That should summarize the thread to this point. I will leave this post up for a bit and the other ones but I will delete them to keep the thread from getting to long.

I am not sure how this turned into a war thread but I apologize for my part in it.

To respond to RaptorWifey, I did not mean any disrespect in my post. The Google KLM you shared was helpful but the JPG file you posted below was not what you ran to my understanding. If I am in error please let me know. I removed all the blue and purple and also made it a GPX file. Not everyone out there knows how to convert KLM or even know how you use Google Earth.

This way if a member finds this thread and the route they can download it for there device / app. If after doing this work for fellow members I am still a tool as you posted then that is your opinion. Sorry to have rubbed you the wrong way as that was not the intention. Good luck on your treks and safe journeys.

Map reference to what was made vs what was posted:

NC-Elizabethtown-trails.jpg

-------
The Google earth file is what was ran....you should have/could have easily converted that to a GPX....hell you could have asked me, as I already have it in GPX and USR. I edited it and clearly marked it for use before sharing it on this public forum. The picture, if you actually read my post was a comparison of the almost 200 miles of trails I had mapped using Google earth versus what we were actually able to run. You know, gates and walking trails,etc. What you created from that jpg, is mostly pavement and gated roads that you are guessing at. This is were I got very offended as you are basically changing my hard work and effort into a pointless piece of crap. Because why? You think you're so good at this that you can do better than the actual verified trails that we ran? Does that make any damn sense? Dirt is very very different than street and I'd really appreciate it if you didn't post your sad attempt at *fixing* my route.