first time off roading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
got a few questions... raptor is 5 days old.
took it to a jeep trail and it was narrow so got a few tree scratches :( are they easy to take off?
2nd i was washing all the mud off and theres a bunch stuck underneath the carriege. and my engine is all muddy. is this ok? should i was the engine??
also i went passed a few creek crossings and mud holes and noticed after i got out my engine was smoking for 20-30 seconds.... is that ok???

i never really off roaded this heavily first truck and just wanna make sure everything was fine.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Depending on how thick the branches are you might be ble to buff most of them out I have a few tiny ones from tree branched but you can't tell until you get real close

You should e fine washin the engine bay out just do not use high pressure water just take your hose an turn it on a little bit and go over it with water of there's any stuff sticking well your gonna have to get your hands a little dirty haha

As for the smoking that's perfectly normal when you've just gone trough water. It smokes because the headers and exhaust are extremely hot and when the water hits it it turns into steam an smoke so no worries there.

Hope this helps and have fun with your raptor it's a total beast you'll love how she handles :waytogo:

OP
OP
Netix

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
thanks alot!! also had some troubles off roading perhaps you can help...
since the raptor is alot wider than a jeep it keeps making me go side ways in the jeep tire trails.... the front sinks into the tracks but the back just wobbles and doesnt want to stay in place!!!!! how would i go into fixing this??
im up in canada so it's not desserts like you guys ride on.... all mud mud mud!!! and bush!!!

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yea that's to bad to cause takin her out into the desert is such an awesome feeling. I personally haven't done a lot of trail stuff especially jeep trails ice hear a few guys on here that have and they've smashed up their running board and tail pipes so I try to stay away from that. I honestly couldnt tell you what would fixe that sorry

chapba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking the truck may need some weight in the back to keep its footing. I know when I rock the mud trails it helps to have some sand bags in the back to help traction.

Also...... Avoid jeep trails cuz they tend to made by and for jeep sized rigs :)

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
Your guys biggest issue is taking this truck on jeep trails. The raptor is very capable, but its not going to be happy on these trails. I took mine on one and it wasn't fun. Jeep trails are often pretty narrow through tree areas. Jeeps are often pretty narrow, and very short. So when you take the truck, if feels as though you are driving a bus through there.

The biggest issue though is the raptor suspension. The front a arms make it hard. You need solid axles to go on some pretty good trails. The articulation is much better, and if a tire drops off say a 1-2 foot step down, it won't try to pull the vehicle down as much as with a arms.

Plus you just end up with TONS of scratches everywhere.

twlhunter65

Reaction score
I plasticed off the alternator and AirAid box,pumped a bottle of simple green on the muddy motor and powerwashed it with a low preshure tip.It comes out like new.

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For Canadian mud you will be better off with good mud tires. Look at what others are running for your area. The BFG A/T's aren't much for any mud. I run BFG M/T's with good luck for my area, not the best for ice though.

Don't worry about the scratches, they are scars of honor. I also say leave the mud on too, I haven't washed mine since August (about time now as I have lost several inches of ground clearance).