Fire Extinguishers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dry Chemical Extinguisher "tips"

Dan mentioned maintenance... At a yard I used to run we had this great guy that came every year to service our fire extinguishers. He was a retired firefighter... then after 30+ more years in the fire extinguisher business he finally retired for good... he was nearly 90 years old at the time but you would have never known it...

I asked him a lot of questions over the years... and he showed me once why dry chemical extinguishers need servicing, especially those used in vehicles.

He took an extinguisher that was just removed from one of our trucks after a year in service. It was still fully charged. He discharged it into a special can he had on his truck. Almost nothing came out but air! (technically, nitrogen) Then he removed the valve and showed me how the powder had become packed solid in the extinguisher from the constant vibration and bouncing going down the road.

He took a second extinguisher, same age, from another truck but this time he rapped it several times with a rubber mallet before discharging it. This one discharged fully!

Then he gave the first extinguisher... the one with the dry chemical packed solid... a few raps with the mallet. He was able to pour out the contents easily.

His advice about the personal fire extinguishers I owned? Unless required by law, he didn't feel it was necessary to service an extinguisher every year if it held pressure... But he said that it was very important, especially on vehicle mounted extinguishers, to take it out of the car and rap it hard with a rubber mallet every couple of months. On an extinguisher mounted in the house or garage, he recommended the "rap" method once a year.

(one exception... the "cheapy" extinguishers with plastic valves that can't be serviced? he recommended against those and said they should just be thrown away every year.)

One of the things that upset him about the business was that so many "inspectors" would check the gauge and if it looked good, slap on a tag good for another year. He never did this. He discharged, disassembled, inspected, and refilled every dry chemical extinguisher we had every year.

I still follow his advice... but of course getting an extinguisher serviced or replaced every year is probably the best practice. (There is a feed tube inside the extinguisher that can break off... rare on a quality model but I saw two older ones we had with this issue).

Just make sure the company servicing actually does more than slap a new tag on it! And a good rap with a mallet every once in a while between services seems to be a good idea.

GTS RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are we going to mount them... let me run out to my Raptor.. oh yeah, still waiting <G>.

What is the best place in the Raptor, though? And we had Halon in the Navy... but they were dangerous because the work by displacing the air... ALL the air. Little tuff to breathe vacuum. Do these Halon's have the same issues?

Just a bundle of questions!
Falcon

I'm planning on mounting my extinguisher on the floor under the driverside rear seat with self tapping screws, I think I can mount it that way, I'll just have to wait and see when I get my raptor. I'll probably pull the carpet back to see if there's any wires in the way so I don't mess anything up when I install the self tapping screws.

Here's some info I copied about Halotron I Extinguishers:

Halotron I is a proven clean fire extinguishing agent designed for streaming applications in portable and handheld fire extinguishers. It is the world’s most widely distributed halocarbon-based clean fire extinguishing agent for such applications. Halotron I has shown, by way of repeated successful extinguishment of real-world fires, that it can quickly and effectively protect valuable assets without generating an undesirable solid residue during the fire-extinguishment process.

It is common for users of fire extinguishers to have limited experience in their operation, and an independent study showed that Halotron I is easier to use for such relatively inexperienced users than other halocarbon clean agents. Halotron I is a safe, effective, environmentally acceptable chemical blend based on the raw material HCFC-123. It was originally introduced in 1992 to replace severe ozone depleting halon 1211, or bromochlorodifluoromethane (BCF).

Halotron I is discharged as a rapidly evaporating liquid, with a throw length of 6 to 45 feet (1.8 to 13.7 meters). Its relatively high boiling point of 80.6°F (27°C) gives it an advantage over other clean extinguishing agents, which tend to have lower boiling points and therefore evaporate sooner, limiting their throw length and overall effectiveness to the non-expert firefighter.

Also, unlike traditional dry chemical agents such as monoammonium phosphate (ABC Dry Chemical) or potassium bicarbonate (Purple K), which can be corrosive, Halotron I is a clean agent that leaves no residue after application, and consequently inflicts little to no collateral damage on equipment in the vicinity of the fire.

Halotron I is approved as environmentally acceptable under the U.S.
EPA’s SNAP program and has undergone the most extensive testing of any halogenated clean agent for portable fire extinguishers since 1992. There are more than 30 separate UL listings for Halotron I portable extinguishers, which is more than twice the number available with any other halocarbon-based clean agent.

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... great NFO GTS. I was thinking about the same place for mounting. Like to have it our of the way, but ready to hand. I am going to see if I can get my Brother in on this thread. He is a F-150 owner, and a State Fire Inspector for the state of Missouri. Be interesting to get his cut on it.

I'm also going to ask him about Halon... maybe the stuff in the Navy was different, but they beat it into our heads about how dangerous it was. If it isn't... that would be the first time they have lied to me <GG>.

Falcon

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just came across this fire extinguishing agent: Cold Fire

CF_logoProd.jpg

Cold Fire™ is an environmentally friendly fire extinguishing agent that puts out ANY fire faster, safer, with less water, less damage to property, and less risk to firefighters. Cold Fire cools 21 times faster than water, and works to remove heat and the fuel sources from the fire tetrahedron, preventing reignition. The suppressants in Cold Fire™ use water as a catalyst to remove the heat as well as encapsulate and break down the hydrocarbons in the fuel source to extinguish the fire more rapidly.

Website here: http://www.coldfire.biz/

GTS RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone mounted a fire extinguisher in their Raptor yet? If so, where? How?

I mounted my Halotron 2.5 lb. extinguisher on the floor under the driver side rear passenger seat, just in front of the jack, it was a perfect fit.
I first got my mounting bracket positioned where it needed to be then held it in place while I drilled two 5/64" pilot holes then used my cordless drill again and screwed the two self-tapping drill screws into place being careful not to tighten the screws down with the cordless drill, I removed the screws and put some red loc-tite on the screw threads and then got my ratchet and proceeded to tighten the screws by hand being careful not to over tighten causing the screws to strip out. It's a rock solid mount, and as you can see from the pictures the extinguisher is not in the way of any would be passengers feet, and it's easily accessed by just popping the rear seat up.
I also cutout a small section of my rear weathertech floor mat so I could remove it for cleaning.

Tools & supplies used:
Cordless drill w/ modified 1/4" drive extension for drilling drill screws
1/4" Ratchet w/ extension
3/8" socket
5/64" drill bit
Two self-tapping drill screws 14 x 1.5" long
Red Loc-Tite

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nicely done Gordon! Excellent work, write up and pics.

Thanks for sharing this. I hope you've inspired a number of us to emulate you in this regard.

I found one online for about $100. Can you recommend a source and cost for the unit? Thanks!

GTS RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nicely done Gordon! Excellent work, write up and pics.

Thanks for sharing this. I hope you've inspired a number of us to emulate you in this regard.

I found one online for about $100. Can you recommend a source and cost for the unit? Thanks!

Thanks Dan,
I got it from ABC Fire Co. $119.13 That price includes shipping cost. California residents have to pay an additional 7.25% sales tax. (Bummer)
http://www.abcfire.com/catalog.asp?prodid=609097&showprevnext=1

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the link and the price (good one). I assume this thing like all the others, needs to be serviced/inspected/certified every year, right?