Dad taught me to crawl, now I wanna run!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I was hoping I could get some input from y'all.

I grew up jeeping with my dad and extended family/friends which means I'm so used to going slower that going faster is somewhat a challenge. In the sense that I've been able to learn jeeping over years of breaking jeeps and fixing them but feel like I'm holding the Raptor back cause I'd rather not break it just to learn how to drive it, lol. I'm wondering if y'all could give me your experience with pushing this thing to the limits without getting too close to the edge.

I'm driving mainly desert hard pack washed, pothole, raised cattle guard, type ranch / rig roads. Any driving tips on how to properly navigate this type of terrain aggressively and quickly would be much appreciated.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can get all the tips in the world, but until you go out and learn the truck by doing, it wont help much. experience is the only way to learn. but learning the terrain you are driving on is most important. knowing whats out there will keep you from pushing too far too quickly.

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looking at your location and the type of off-roading you have been doing you know that at times you have to walk it before you drive it.
Same with the Raptor, select a stretch and drive it slowly to learn it; now increase the speed to get familiar with the trucks behavior.
Note: if the wheels leave the ground don't slam on the brakes, keep your foot in it

Slacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can get all the tips in the world, but until you go out and learn the truck by doing, it wont help much. experience is the only way to learn. but learning the terrain you are driving on is most important. knowing whats out there will keep you from pushing too far too quickly.

He is exactly right. Watching videos, reading, talking, etc are no substitute for getting seat time. However, it is good to learn from others by asking questions so that you don't have to make the same dumb mistakes some of us have made.

My piece of advice is to pre-ride everything. If you want to take it fast, take it slow first and look for what is going to bite you. This isn't always practical or even possible but when you can, pre-ride. If you can't, make sure you go with someone who has been there.

OP
OP
addhyperactive
Reaction score
Thanks y'all, I was wondering more along the lines of are there any mistakes that you know of that will help mitigate breaking the thing.uploadfromtaptalk1433331458857.jpg This is a picture of the last stock suspension I brought out here. I fully understand that the Raptors design is WAY better than this pos but I just don't know it that well to say, "we'll this terrain I can take at x speed and much more than that and I'm looking for trouble mechanically." I knew that retarded jeep mount was going to get me in trouble at some point I just thought it would hold up longer than 25 miles, lol. I guess my question boils down to what would I have to do to this thing to break a component of the suspension?

RaptorAddict.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You'd be surprised how much these trucks can take. But there is always that wrong angle that get you into some issues. You want to protect the truck in ways depending on what kind of driving and recreation you do. If you like to huck it and run fast over rough stuff, get a frame support. Strongly recommend a bump stop kit as well. With that mod, you can have some good fun and save a lot on the truck. Without it, look forward to a bent frame and slamming your front skid into the ground. Other than that, just take her easy and learn how she handles different situations. We've all been through it and have had our boo boos. Some of us gear up different and try that same bad situation again to chance success, LOL! And some of us just watch out for it next time. You will find the most fun is staying within your limits and knowing that tow truck wont have to come take you home. Successful days.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
In the late 90's and early 00's I worked with the Jeep Jamboree and Camp Jeep groups as an off-road driving instructor for Jeep newbies so I know what you are talking about. There is a big difference between four-wheel'n with a Jeep and the Raptor. The biggest difference is the speed of course.

Ever since I bought my Raptor I had to pretty much teach myself all over... From running in 2WD all the time to jumping the Raptor... everything was different.

At Pismo Beach I was used to 4WD Low, after a few runs with other Raptor owners I now run 2WD and only use 4WD to get off a dune or pull someone out...

In the desert I would watch my speeds and avoid anything rough that would send me airborne. Now I have to watch my speeds because it is way too easy to go 80MPH+ on the dirt roads and now I look for jumps! This old dog found new life with the Raptor.

One of the biggest things you need to do is *KNOW YOUR COURSE* because the Raptor is so capable of high speeds you really need to know what is down the road in front of you. Pre-run the drive so you know what to expect.

Find local Raptor owners in your area and go out with them. You will learn what to do very quickly.

---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

Didn't think about that but great suggestion. $100 buys you a lot of protection from what is, in my opinion, a huge screw-up in Ford's design.

SDHQ Ford Raptor Rear Frame Reinforcement Kit

If you don't run a bump-stop kit this is a $100 mod everyone should have. I do wonder though for those with 2013+ Raptors if it is needed since Ford strengthened the frame for 2013+ Raptors...