CO2 Tank and Mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I have been after a solution to air up after trail rides for quite some time. I debated between a CO2 tank and an air compressor system. I picked CO2 because of the lower initial cost with the ability to run air tools and it was relatively easy to mount.

A compressed air system with a tank would have provided similar performance at about double the cost, not including a more involved installation. But, you only have to pay for it once, so it is all a trade-off.

I looked at a couple of different systems. I found on from The Source on Amazon for $310 (at the time) that included a 10lb tank, adjustable regulator (to run air tools), handle, vehicle bracket, coiled hose and tire chuck. A pretty good deal, I thought.
The Source S-KIT10B High Performace Portable Air System with Vehicle Bracket - Amazon.com

I think I could have done it a little bit cheaper with the build your own route, but with the bracket and adjustable regulator, it was pretty close and definitely less work to get the complete kit. Here is the discussion on the build your own:
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f67/...igh-quality-lowest-cost-ford-raptor-svt-8432/

I wanted to be able to mount my setup using my cargo rails (take a look here: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f11/cargo-rail-install-12218/), so a custom bracket was in order. I bought a 6' stick of 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" angle iron, some fasteners and borrowed a metal chop saw from a friend. With my idea sketched, I measured everything and cut all of my pieces. Another buddy with a welder welded it up for me. I put a couple of coats of bed liner in a can on it.

Here is the finished bracket:
IMG00280.jpg

With the tank and vehicle bracket installed:
IMG00281.jpg

Installed in the bed, using 4 bolt stud fittings clipped into the cargo rails:
IMG00282.jpg

Note: The handle sticks above the rail of my cover and the cover bulges a little when it is closed. This setup would not work with the handle installed for anyone running a hard bed cover. I am contemplating bending the handle a little more or looking for a different style.

I found a welding shop not too far away and they charged me about $15 to fill up my tank and based on some usage by others, this will be good enough to re-inflate my tires after 4 air-downs.

CrownOffroad

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the same Co2 tank setup and have been looking for mounting options. I like your setup, but I have a BakFlip and with the tank standing straight up, it won't close. Any thoughts on a similar mounting bracket that places the tank at an angle whereby allowing clearance under the cover? Any issues mounting the tank at an angle....?

Fozzy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will not want to lay the tank back anymore than a 45* angle or it will be liquid Co2 coming out. You could do the same thing as Keiser only lay it towards the cab. I have mine laid back enough to clear my Flex cover.
53413CE1-D3C5-403F-A195-3D82D8496F06-2003-0000035CB11A610B_zps1c76be9f.jpg
[/IMG]

justthebest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my PowerTank mounted in the same spot. And MyDino - you can mount the tank anywhere / at any angle you want, you just have to make sure it's upright when you're actually using it.

OP
OP
KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
So you started a new CO2 thread cuz last one went to FRF hell ?
Way to go !
Not quite. The other one was asking for mounting suggestions. This one is showing why I picked CO2 and what I came up with.

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 AM ----------

Does anyone know if you can use a scuba tank for one of these co2 tanks?
I am not sure on that. I do know that the CO2 tanks I looked at were DOT rated and that the tank has to be rated to at least 1800 psi.

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not quite. The other one was asking for mounting suggestions. This one is showing why I picked CO2 and what I came up with.

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 AM ----------

I am not sure on that. I do know that the CO2 tanks I looked at were DOT rated and that the tank has to be rated to at least 1800 psi.

Right I saw that, scuba tanks are rated to 3000--4000psi which is why I was wondering about using them. Imagine how much more co2 you could fit in a big scuba tank??

Dave

OP
OP
KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Right I saw that, scuba tanks are rated to 3000--4000psi which is why I was wondering about using them. Imagine how much more co2 you could fit in a big scuba tank??
CO2 is a liquid in the tank, so the additional pressure rating wouldn't give you any additional capacity. The only way to get more capacity is to get a bigger tank.

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CO2 is a liquid in the tank, so the additional pressure rating wouldn't give you any additional capacity. The only way to get more capacity is to get a bigger tank.

I just made a few phone calls to dive shops and co2 tank shops. The 20 pound tanks are the same size as scuba tanks and they sell good condition used 20 pound tanks full of co2 for $80 with a gauge on it. That's a pretty cheap alternative.

Dave