C02 mount location good?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12951
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

Have the Smittybilt C02 10# tank and got the Smittybilt mount. It was designed for a 2" bar, not fitting on my rack anywhere. I have a tonneau cover and sitting straight up goes higher than the bed rails, so not going to work. Decided to drill into the bed side and mount it there instead. I wanted to do it at an angle but could not get enough flat surface so ended up going horizontal with the bed. Used the hardware that came with it including the roll bar mount that it screws into just on the other side of the bed up in the fender well. It feels extremely solid, no movement.

Does anyone see any potential issue with it being mounted like this when off-roading hard with the rear bouncing around? I do have bed stabilizer bars too so the bed side will not move much. Last thing I want is for it to break off. I did wrap a racket strap too just incase those Smittybilt straps would have an issue. I normally see these mounted vertical or at an angle, hence why I am asking.

b915234408db0e6720ca8d795718114f.jpg
17269aa98255fae19f8df86654ecd984.jpg

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
I believe you will have to unmount it to use it as using it horizontal will mean liquid CO2 will come out instead of gas.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

I believe you will have to unmount it to use it as using it horizontal will mean liquid CO2 will come out instead of gas.

Yes, I would do that of course. I was more concerned with it being a decent location for off-roading not during use.

punchinpaper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tank mount

That should work out fine. I have mine mounted the same direction, just on the tailgate since I have rotopax fuel and water cans mounted on either side in the spot you have mounted yours. I have been off road with it a couple times and it seems to hold up just fine like that.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Rick, I would add some bracing to sandwich in between the sheet metal and brackets to spread the load out. Having the load over a small area will start flexing the sheet metal under off-roading which could lead to radial cracks starting at the mounting holes.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Rick, I would add some bracing to sandwich in between the sheet metal and brackets to spread the load out. Having the load over a small area will start flexing the sheet metal under off-roading which could lead to radial cracks starting at the mounting holes.

You talking about inside the fender well? Not following exactly.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Actually, on both sides (inside the fender well and inside the bed) would be best. It could be a simple as some large fender washers.

Gotcha! Will get some longer bolts as I doubt these are long enough to do that.