Build Your Own CO2 Tank System – High Quality & Lowest Cost Ford Raptor SVT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Powertank has a long list of FAQs. Here are some of them with a link to more:

Is the CO2 gas safe for tires?
A2: Yes. CO2 vapor is inert (non-toxic, non-corrosive). CO2 vapor is perfectly safe for your tires and wheels. In fact, your body exhales CO2 and you ingest CO2 when you drink a soda or beer.

Q: Isn’t this just a Scuba tank? Can I use my Scuba tank with your Regulator kit?
A2: We get this question a lot. Unfortunately the answer is no. We use only top-of-the-line CO2 certified equipment. Scuba tanks are completely different in cylinder and valve design and scuba tanks cannot be used in place of a CO2 tank.

Why CO2 instead of Nitrogen?
A2: "Volume.” CO2 will give you three times the energy of Nitrogen in a given tank size. Having one tank of CO2 is like carrying three tanks of nitrogen. This makes it more economical and means that you’ll have the power when you need it all in one small tank.

Q: Will CO2 leak out of my tires faster than air?
A2: No. The CO2 molecule is larger than a nitrogen molecule which is 78% of air.

Do I have to worry about the moisture of CO2 in my air tools??
A2: No. Even though many think of CO2 as a gas full of moisture because it is called a liquid gas it is only in this dense liquid state under pressure. Once it is in low pressure it can only be in either solid state, dry ice, or vapor state. CO2 introduces no moisture into your air tools. In fact, CO2 vapor is used to push all types of paint out of sprayers with no in-line drier required.

http://www.powertank.com/faqs#question13

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great writeup Dan! I know this has taken a ton of time and work to put together. It was definitely worth it. Thanks!

PS: As for the hoses Dan mentioned I have... I work with pneumatics as part of my daily business and as a result I have lots of parts stocked for my customers. I have several cases of these hoses left laying around (new old stock) and am willing to pass them on at my cost to SVTO members. Shoot me a PM and we can talk details.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update on the DIY CO2 Tank system:

Thanks to Zach (aermotor) on another forum who provided us a new source for the regulator at a lower price and flat-rate shipping saving us another $14.00
rocker.gif

Regulators – Updated 6/12/11

After a lot of Googling, the best regulator solution for the money that I have found is a fixed pressure regulator which is set at 150 psi. Besides being an excellent value, they don't have the unnecessary gauges which will read the same up until the tank is empty. Static regulator complete with fitting and automatic quick connect coupler included.

The recommended supplier is Wheeler's Off Road as they charge $49.00 for their HyperFlo CO2 Regulator plus $7.00 flat-rate shipping ($56.00 to your door). Click this link and scroll down to see the HyperFlo regulator: OffRoadAir CO2 Air Systems from Wheeler's Off-Road Thanks to Zach (aermotor) on J-KForums.com for this vendor and pricing information!

Note: Previous recommendation was Outback Air ($55.00) but I understand they’re charging $15 shipping for each item!

oa_hyperflo_web.jpg

Last edited:

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
thanks dan. gives me more options. and thank you to all that have responded. think i will go with the air tank option, as i can use this in my business also. just another tool for the shop and me to use on the weekends. jack.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Glad you find it helpful.

No offroad solution is as fast for airing up as a tank. And you can run air tools on a tank which is a bonus.

I simply wanted to put the DIY options out there for those who want to go with a tank. There's no reason to pay a company to put together a system (the same system) that you can put together and save coin doing it.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
UPDATE 2014-02-05

So a brand new 10# CO2 tank

tn2_large_bfc10100109133705.jpg

costs $84.99

And a HyperFlo MAX 0-250psi Adjustable CO2 Regulator

HyperFlo MAX 0-250psi Adjustable CO2 Regulator

costs $137.00

Note: An adjustable regulator will enable you to dial down the pressure if/when you want to use air power tools with the tank. Otherwise you could run a fixed pressure regulator running about 150 psi like the one TreyPal posted (above) for $40.00 link here:

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/CO2-Fixed-Regulator-p-297.html

So you could have a CO2 tank system:

10# tank with fixed pressure regulator: $124.99

10# tank with adjustable pressure regulator: $221.99

Not including accessories:

You might want to add a tank boot and a bracket and a hose with filler and some other accessories (available cheap at Home Depot, Lowes, Harbor Freight, etc.).

Last edited: