Bill Moore Lake--Empire, CO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrubin80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sundays trip, both good and bad. Went with Dane up to the trails yesterday. First slow speed trail visit for the Raptor. As I expected it performed flawlessly through the chutes that only Jeeps should try. Had less room than I was comfortable with but got through with only a little pin striping.

First time using Hill Descent proved to me eye opening. Wow is the only word I can use. Makes getting down almost too easy. Traction in the dry is great, and because of the sheer weight of the truck, it attacks snow packs well at an angle without sliding.

Now the bad, At a certain point we realized that neither Dane, who towed his Wrangler with his Raptor, but decided to drive the Jeep of the Rap, would not get through some snow pack that was ahead. Decided to turn around. That is the point we realized 4WD was no where to be found. Transfer case would lock in, you could feel it and hear it, but nothing. Appears to be a broken vacuum line. So there we are, I have zero traction, in snow and melt off mud. We manage to get his Wrangler around me to try and pull and snatch. Not working. Poor Jeep could barely move the Raptor because of the snow.

Luckily a few more vehicle that until they saw us expected to try and pass the snow bank stopped by. We dug the Rap out as best as we could, and daisy chained the Rap to the Jeep to a Toyota Tundra and heave ho, got me out. But not without sliding into a tree as the pics will show.

So enjoy the entertaining pics and video, and do not try Bill Moore Lake until July 1st, there is an unpassable section where snow pack is over 4 feet and there is only 5 feet of trail between the snow and the cliff.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 132
  • Raptor Carnage.jpg
    Raptor Carnage.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 126
OP
OP
J

jrubin80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Video will be posted as soon as I sort out how. And as a side note. The running boards prevented an 18in wide tree from crushing the truck. Those things are as stout as can be. Very impressed with them.

Last edited:

Phyguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Damn. Didnt even let me know...i ser how it is. :birgits_tiredcoffee try slaughterhouse gulch. Its passable and fun. Plz let me know next time yall het together.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Videos below:

---------- Post added at 10:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

Damn. Didnt even let me know...i ser how it is. :birgits_tiredcoffee try slaughterhouse gulch. Its passable and fun. Plz let me know next time yall het together.

Not a big fan of Slaughterhouse. I just ran it a while back and thought it was pretty boring except for two hills.

A Raptor would get some serious pin-striping in there, but it would make it for sure. I ran it in my Rubicon with a stock Wrangler X and a stock Ram 1500.

AdkRaptor150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice...sux you banged up the raptor but it looks like a pretty sweet trail. claim it and say a soccer mom hit you and ran.

Phyguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Videos below:

---------- Post added at 10:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

Not a big fan of Slaughterhouse. I just ran it a while back and thought it was pretty boring except for two hills.

A Raptor would get some serious pin-striping in there, but it would make it for sure. I ran it in my Rubicon with a stock Wrangler X and a stock Ram 1500.

Cool. Let me know when you guys head up again. I'd like to tag along. I usually do some shooting at the end of the BM trail (at the lake) if we want to do that at some point.

Matt

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cool. Let me know when you guys head up again. I'd like to tag along. I usually do some shooting at the end of the BM trail (at the lake) if we want to do that at some point.

Matt
Will do. We brought our bang bangs along, but never used them this time. There weren't any real opportunities.

OP
OP
J

jrubin80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny thing is Dane, I read one of my trail books today. And it mentioned to NOT run the trail til July due to snow......WTF!

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

Phy, next time we all go. Maybe with 3 of us, Dane will roll the Raptor

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

Phy, next time we all go. Maybe with 3 of us, Dane will roll the Raptor