Air Compressor = PUMA Im gett'n this

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yomudderputter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've did a bit of research and the PUMA 12v @ $227 seems to be one of the best out there. I picked up a Cambel Shitfield. its a *************. :Jedi:

I would like to increase the capacity of the tank by adding a secondary tank along the frame rails or increasing this tank to 3 or 4 gallon. Has anyone done something like that? doubled up or increased tank size? im going to find a way to install this motor under the hood and mount the tank along the rails with some galvanized piping. saw something like that while doing my research..

on another note:
about the aux switches, is it possible to upgrade the fuse on aux 4 to a 30 or 50 amp fuse? or is the wiring the wrong gauge or should i put an inline fuse so I can run the ten amp aux 4 or 15 amp aux 4.

Aux 1 and 2 are used for my lights bar..

YouTube - ‪Puma 12V Air Compressor‬‏

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have your aux switch turn on a relay to power your pump. You can build your circuit/relay/inline fuse for whatever current load the pump needs. The stock aux fuse will be fine to operate the relay. As for the tank question, I don't have much experience with on board air pumps, so I can't offer any help.

Edit. The pump may already have a built in relay, so the aux switch might be ok. When you get it, list how the directions say to wire it and we can go from there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
yomudderputter

yomudderputter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have your aux switch turn on a relay to power your pump. You can build your circuit/relay/inline fuse for whatever current load the pump needs. The stock aux fuse will be fine to operate the relay. As for the tank question, I don't have much experience with on board air pumps, so I can't offer any help.

Edit. The pump may already have a built in relay, so the aux switch might be ok. When you get it, list how the directions say to wire it and we can go from there.

thanks man :waytogo:

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ymp,

Haven't done it but read a lot of reviews, pros and cons of various methods and products back on the FJ Cruiser forums. Not sure what you're hoping to do with the air...ie, tires only or air tools or what.

Viair makes some good units in all different sizes along with small auxiliary tanks that might meet your needs. Also full kits with compressor and tanks and fittings etc... Here's just one place you'll find them...might be other better sources. idk

Many guys (especially those with an air refill/SCUBA type place nearby) preferred the PowerTank option for the speed and simplicity.

Also read lots of good things about this little unit for $149.

Sorry to confuse the shopping...ignore me at will. Just throwing out some ideas.

BMart

FRF Resident Artist
Reaction score
nice unit Putter! Can you run an impact wrench with that?

3cfm at 90psi = the wrench would spin, but you wouldn't get much torque out of it. High torque impact wrenches typically require ~5 cfm @ 90psi.

Last edited:

hatfield44

Reaction score
I would assume that is 5.65 cfm @ O psi. It would be much less at the pressures require to run tools.