Treypal's Raptor Build and Prep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
I figured I would start a thread on the few mods, and all the prep I am doing before this years 1000.

The plan is to head to Baja on Nov 11, do a bunch of prerunning (none on course though). We will end up in Ensenada for contingency, from there we will be chasing a solo bike rider from Australia. Our section is the San Felipe loop, the roughest section of course... Hopefully our chase will confined to Baja Pits locations only, but we shall see.

Last year we preran 800 miles of the 1000 course, ending up in Insurgentes. Timing didn't allow us to finish the whole course. I didn't do much prep before the 1000 last year. I added the tire gate bed mount. Tiregates Website So I could carry a second spare. I bought a Raptor rim on ebay for $125 bucks, and got some spares off of Craigslist.

I added a tiedown kit for my 120qt Yeti Cooler.

Added a Rigid Industries 20" bar, and 4 Duallies in Amber.

Added Total Chaos UCAs, and took the truck to the second perch.

And I installed an Icom F121 VHF radio.

The truck performed flawlessly, zero mechanical problems. I smashed my Y-Pipe on a boulder, my mirrors fell apart, the front bumperettes fell off, shock guards were destroyed, blew a shock seal, skid plates dented. But all in all, for as much abuse as I put the truck through, it came out very well.

My goal for this years 1000 was to try to fix all the small problems I had last year, along with making sure I didn't have any mechanical problems that could have been prevented with good preparation. I'd love to spend a bunch of money on a bed cage, 18" bypasses, deavers, etc, etc... But I feel that without a cab cage its a dangerous road to go down.

This is what I have done so far.

New Tires: General Grabbers 35x12.50 on stock rims. I bought a 5th for my bed spare.

New Battery: Optima Red top (I won it at a raffle). Plus the old battery had a ton of corrosion.

Skidplating: ASFIRs transmission skidplate is on order.

Frame: Ordered SDHQs $100 frame kit. I didn't damage it last year, and I was rough on the truck, but I figure for $100, its decent insurance.

Drivetrain: New Brake pads, SDHQ ABS Guards. Homemade shock guards.

GPS: Lowrance Elite 5M, Installed.

The prep part will be. Changing the diff fluids, tightening all suspension bolts, radiator flush, trans flush.

I am going to try to keep everyone updated as I go.

gotSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Move that harness on the drivers frame rail to a higher location.

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Good suggestion. I'm putting it on my prep list.

BTW, here is my prep list.
o Fluids
 Change Oil (right before leaving)
 Tranny Flush
 Check Diffs
 Check T-Case
o Drivetrain
 Change brake pads
• Front (done)
• Rear (inspect)
• ABS Guards (in hand, not installed)
 Inspect driveshafts and CVs
 Skidplates (ordered from ASFIR)
 Wire Harness reroute
o Suspension
 Inspect and tighten UCA bolts
 Inspect, tighten steering bolts
 Inspect, tighten LCA bolts
 Inspect, tighten leaf spring bolts
 Check for Shock Leaks
 Inspect shock guards
o Tires
 *done*New Tires
 Extra Spare
 Lube spare plate, get locking cable
o Lighting
 Rear facing Amber
• Mount that ties into the bed extender nuts?
 Possibly build light bar for 2 Chinese HIDs
o Comms
 Use Roberto’s Radio setup to monitor WX man and LM at the same time.
 Sat phone (Jones I assume)
 New O-Ring for Antenna
 ORW Baja Basemap (ordered)
o *Done* New AGM Battery
o Comfort/Chase
 Mounting location for two folding chairs
 Storage location for grill
 Some sort of shade or cheap-o ez-up
 Pit Lighting
o Rear of Truck
 Fire Extinguisher mount
 SDHQ Frame kit (ordered)

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Nice Video

You go with stock brake pads?
I went with the stock pads and they are already squeaking bad...

I installed my quick fist shovel mounts today. I drilled holes through my stripper pole, installed with #10 bolts. I am going for a test run down the beach before Baja. We shall see how they hold up.

** Edit 07-19-12 ** This setup didn't work, I ditched it almost as soon as I tried it...

Last edited: