Raptor 7 Modification Progress

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorinTX

Reaction score
Well I thought I’d give everyone an update on how the Raptor repairs and modifications are going. My goal is to get the vehicle setup to preun Baja 500 this year and race the year after. So all of the modifications relate to that goal.

I had run in the first Raptor Run (great event and appreciate all the work Connor and the guys from Outlaw Raptor put into holding these) and was expecting to make the one on July 23-24 but truck wasn’t in one piece at the time it need to get on a transport.

First off I lucked out in working with Jason at SDHQ, Jared at Addictive Desert Design and Robby at LG Motorsports they have all gone above and beyond in some cases (Jared dropped everything to make a needed part and get it sent overnight, more than once… thanks man). Also having a few off road vehicles and have modified them, these guys are some of the best.

So I have been experimenting with various modifications to get a balance of performance, reliability and durability. So far I have done the following (excluding rims and tires):

• Procharger Supercharger (337 to 499 RWHP)
• Stainlessworks headers
• Stainlessworks pipes
• Remote transmission cooler (forgot brand but lowered temp by 30 degrees)
• Line-x rear wheel wells
• Lowrance 5 Baja GPS
• Vertex VHF Radio
• Deavers leaf springs +1
• SDHQ frame supports
• SDHQ read bump stops and frame mounting kit
• SDHQ Fox 3.0 rear shock mounts
• Fox 3.0 shocks rear
• King 3.0 coil over front shocks
• ADD front suspension (control arms and steering arms)
• ADD front bumper with 20” and 40” LED light bars (Rigid and Visions X)
• ADD front skip plate with 20” light and transmission cooler cut out with mesh
• ADD rear stealth bump
• ADD rock sliders
• ADD gate mounted tire carrier
• Partial cabin cage
• Sparco 2000 Plus front seats and Simpson 5 point harnesses
• PLX 2016 DM-200 OBDII Universal Display Gauge
• LG engine tuning (including transmission)
• SDHQ hood pins

Here is a link to pictures (Ford Raptor Project - LG Motor Sports)

The things still to be done or on order

• Method Rims with OMF beadlocks (SDHQ handling)
• More efficient air cleaner or snorkel for air intake
• Relocating front shock reservoirs or protecting better
• Off road racing approved fuel cell
• Upholster interior especially around pillars, head liner and seat mounts. Rewrap steering wheel.
• Front fiberglass fenders and aluminum wheel well
• Black vinyl on roof

Things still be considered:

• SDHQ long travel suspension – Will install if current setup won’t handle the demands. Was hoping to test ADD at July raptor run
• Full cage and integrated bed rack
• Brakes – but so far no real reason

The supercharger has helped in torque, which in turn helps minimize tranny shift and speed out of the turns. Tranny stays in the 170 degree range. I have not had a chance to work out the front end but ran thru a parking lot the other night and hit 4 large speed bumps at 45 and barely felt them. Intend to get back out soon see how the SDHQ/Fox rear end and ADD/King front end holds up. I also have drive shaft clunk which is part of the recall, deal has ordered new shaft.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Man, that is some badass shit right there. Nice choice on all aspects and great job to all our vendors involved.

Chrisandalex1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I thought I’d give everyone an update on how the Raptor repairs and modifications are going. My goal is to get the vehicle setup to preun Baja 500 this year and race the year after. So all of the modifications relate to that goal.

I had run in the first Raptor Run (great event and appreciate all the work Connor and the guys from Outlaw Raptor put into holding these) and was expecting to make the one on July 23-24 but truck wasn’t in one piece at the time it need to get on a transport.

First off I lucked out in working with Jason at SDHQ, Jared at Addictive Desert Design and Robby at LG Motorsports they have all gone above and beyond in some cases (Jared dropped everything to make a needed part and get it sent overnight, more than once… thanks man). Also having a few off road vehicles and have modified them, these guys are some of the best.

So I have been experimenting with various modifications to get a balance of performance, reliability and durability. So far I have done the following (excluding rims and tires):

• Procharger Supercharger (337 to 499 RWHP)
• Stainlessworks headers
• Stainlessworks pipes
• Remote transmission cooler (forgot brand but lowered temp by 30 degrees)
• Line-x rear wheel wells
• Lowrance 5 Baja GPS
• Vertex VHF Radio
• Deavers leaf springs +1
• SDHQ frame supports
• SDHQ read bump stops and frame mounting kit
• SDHQ Fox 3.0 rear shock mounts
• Fox 3.0 shocks rear
• King 3.0 coil over front shocks
• ADD front suspension (control arms and steering arms)
• ADD front bumper with 20” and 40” LED light bars (Rigid and Visions X)
• ADD front skip plate with 20” light and transmission cooler cut out with mesh
• ADD rear stealth bump
• ADD rock sliders
• ADD gate mounted tire carrier
• Partial cabin cage
• Sparco 2000 Plus front seats and Simpson 5 point harnesses
• PLX 2016 DM-200 OBDII Universal Display Gauge
• LG engine tuning (including transmission)
• SDHQ hood pins

Here is a link to pictures (Ford Raptor Project - LG Motor Sports)

The things still to be done or on order

• Method Rims with OMF beadlocks (SDHQ handling)
• More efficient air cleaner or snorkel for air intake
• Relocating front shock reservoirs or protecting better
• Off road racing approved fuel cell
• Upholster interior especially around pillars, head liner and seat mounts. Rewrap steering wheel.
• Front fiberglass fenders and aluminum wheel well
• Black vinyl on roof

Things still be considered:

• SDHQ long travel suspension – Will install if current setup won’t handle the demands. Was hoping to test ADD at July raptor run
• Full cage and integrated bed rack
• Brakes – but so far no real reason

The supercharger has helped in torque, which in turn helps minimize tranny shift and speed out of the turns. Tranny stays in the 170 degree range. I have not had a chance to work out the front end but ran thru a parking lot the other night and hit 4 large speed bumps at 45 and barely felt them. Intend to get back out soon see how the SDHQ/Fox rear end and ADD/King front end holds up. I also have drive shaft clunk which is part of the recall, deal has ordered new shaft.

Nice Job, I was curious about adding a remote trans cooler, especially running in the Baja. I think I just added that to my list. Thanks.

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
I saw some pics of your truck when I was at ADD, SOOOO F'N SICK! I was wondeing how to get ahold of you and tell ya to post up here!

OP
OP
R

RaptorinTX

Reaction score
The simple answer is yes and have strengthened the existing passenger compartment crash protection based on the current use. I have left all but the seat air bags fully operational (for now). I intend to increase the crash protection prior to prerunning Baja.

I consulted a few people including a Ford engineer on the discussions regarding 5 point harnesses and not using prior to a full case. The information I got was this is more of a superman effect and not a structure issue. The vehicle (stock weight plus 500 lbs) is tested to withstand a roll over crash based on existing pillar supports. The SRS system retracts the seat belts prior to impact so irrespective of a 5 point harness or not, you're are pinned in the seat.

So when I asked again about the comments, people have told me when you put a 5 pint harness in the vehicle people tend to exceed the vehicles capabilities or superman effect.

The 5 point harness does hold me tighter in the seat and do fully intend to add a complete cage, just need a design that I can remove a few of the supports (especially ones by doors) when driving on road (maybe quick release pins) so still be practical on road.

OP
OP
R

RaptorinTX

Reaction score
They are using the existing bolt holes. I have now had 3 different ones fabricated. Has been a learning experience. I tried a few different seats and based on intended use and comfort I went with the sparco 2000 plus. It does not have any vertical adjustment, I couldn't get what I needed in one that did. The first base had no rails and was fixed. This really limited anyone else driving the vehicle and until I replace the steering wheel hard to get in or out. The second one has rails and a better angle and the 3 looked good. I have purchased different leg and lumbar pads to tweak.

OP
OP
R

RaptorinTX

Reaction score
Roll Bar

After a lot of research and discussion I've decided to go with RPM Rollbars to develop a 6 point CM rollcage with door swing outs. They start work on it next week (they promise to take pictures as they go). I choose them as they build NHRA approved rollcages and could provide data on the impact protection achieved based on various configurations. They also have been building cages for vehicles that do street use.

I'll keep everyone posted on progress on build.