The life of my 2013 Black SuperCab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
rkneeshaw

rkneeshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was getting condensation in my chase lights behind the amber covers, so I just ended up swapping the lenses for ambers and they're crystal clear 24/7 now

IMG_20180203_0915233.jpg

Also have been having trouble with my remote start. Intermittently isn't starting, just beeps once and flashes the lights at me. Sometimes would turn off the truck as I was getting in before I could put the key in the run position. A suggestion was that it could be the hood switch, which sounds very plausable. I bent the bracket up a bit so the hood switch will make solid contact and so far seems to have done the trick

IMG_20180203_1543130.jpg

And I found a use for my 4th upfitter switch, I decided to wire it so it dims the XL80's. I would have dimmed the Onx6 using the same switch but the Onx6 (non-hi-power version) has different dimming circuitry than the XL80's. Basically I added a weatherproof relay so that the positive 12v from the upfitter switch triggers the relay which connects the ground circuit to the control wire on the XL80's. I thought I needed +12v to the control wire on the XL80's but that's not the case, it is triggered by a connection to ground. The dimmer should be great in heavy snowfall.

So now my upfitter swtiches are:

1 - 20" Onx6 Light bar
2 - Hood mounted XL80's
3 - Squadron Sport chase lights
4 - Dimmer for XL80's

5" of fresh snow today, LOVING IT

Last edited:

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was getting condensation in my chase lights behind the amber covers, so I just ended up swapping the lenses for ambers and they're crystal clear 24/7 now

IMG_20180203_0915233.jpg

Also have been having trouble with my remote start. Intermittently isn't starting, just beeps once and flashes the lights at me. Sometimes would turn off the truck as I was getting in before I could put the key in the run position. A suggestion was that it could be the hood switch, which sounds very plausable. I bent the bracket up a bit so the hood switch will make solid contact and so far seems to have done the trick

IMG_20180203_1543130.jpg

And I found a use for my 4th upfitter switch, I decided to wire it so it dims the XL80's. I would have dimmed the Onx6 using the same switch but the Onx6 (non-hi-power version) has different dimming circuitry than the XL80's. Basically I added a weatherproof relay so that the positive 12v from the upfitter switch triggers the relay which connects the ground circuit to the control wire on the XL80's. I thought I needed +12v to the control wire on the XL80's but that's not the case, it is triggered by a connection to ground. The dimmer should be great in heavy snowfall.

So now my upfitter swtiches are:

1 - 20" Onx6 Light bar
2 - Hood mounted XL80's
3 - Squadron Sport chase lights
4 - Dimmer for XL80's

5" of fresh snow today, LOVING IT

Same thing here. Weird and no rhyme or reason why. I also had bent my switch up but still get it 1 out of 40 starts.

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been battling the same thing since day 1
Believe it’s the anti theft system acting up

2 days ago I rigged my hood sensor so it reads closed all the time. If that works then it has to do with the sensor. If not, that is my next step, looking at the antitheft and reprogramming the remotes.

OP
OP
rkneeshaw

rkneeshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time for an update

Went for a dirty muddy spring run with some of the Snoball guys, so much fun!

IMG_20180421_1031314.jpg

IMG_20180421_1138149.jpg

IMG_20180421_1922397.jpg

Decided to upgrade from the handheld radio to something proper, so I began by installing the bulletproof diesel third brake light NMO antenna mount

IMG_20180516_1329134.jpg

IMG_20180516_1329250.jpg

Ran the antenna coax, power, and some cat5 to the center console

IMG_20180518_0914164.jpg

I'll mount the radio in there, and the cat5 is so I can run a jack for the mic off the passenger side of the cupholders. I'll patch the external speaker output from the radio into the stock stereo A/V inputs in the console for a super stealthy install.

Radio and antenna and a few other bits to complete the install are on order.

Meanwhile, I decided to reinforce the weatherstripping around the doors using the surgical tubing mod. The stock weatherstripping seems to be too soft so when the doors are shifting around during offroad adventures its possible for water/mud to seep into the cab. This tightens things up for a nice solid seal.

IMG_20180520_1425233.jpg

IMG_20180520_1425434.jpg

The side steps are off getting recoated with line-x, the stock coating was pealing off terribly. Should have them back next week!

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great write up. Keep it going....BTW i have clear lenses on my XL80s and just use amber covers. Fogging does not bother me. these covers do not seem to defuse the light a whole lot. Less reflection too. Speaking of lights got the e series Pro 50 inch rigid bar spot/flood from Freedom Motorsports, thank you Chris. Going to replace my useless single row radiance bar. Can not wait. Will be interesting going from weak faded 16400 lumins to 44k lumins...