Gen 2 What To Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I am buying my first Truck period, and all my cars have been 4 or 5 speed manuals.

My first upgrades will be below $2K

1. Bed spray - done as the Ford dealer threw that in for free
2. Mud Flaps - leaning toward Husky at $90 for 4
3. Bed cover - leaning for a Truxedo Truxport Cover for $289
4. Lights - leaning for 3 on each side, one a spot, one a Legal Fog, one a Driving for around $900 I think

so that at $1400

5. Spray the bottom with amsoil heavy duty metal protector - $12 a can, need to know how many to buy
6. Need a tow - looking to get 2 heavy duty 30 ft tow lines from amazon, what do you have in your truck to tow?
7. jumper Cables - take a set I have from the retired Honda 5 speed

research areas:
Dash camera - motion based to take pictures of folks messing with truck, and when driving to take pictures of cars in front

Wheel Locks and tail gate lock? Do I really need them?

Gun safe in truck?

Tie downs for Bed?

What else do you all carry? Any tools? Portable Lights?

Mods are addictive. Off road lights are like potato(e) chips... you can’t have just one.

I think 900 is a little high for fogs but kind of you get what you pay for / buy once cry once. I didn’t go for a kit because I had angle metal laying around, so I made my bracket. I just bought the lights. Supporting vendors here have a cr@p ton of options available. The street legal fogs is frustrating. The SAE fogs are not especially cheap.

Being a MD refugee, I would caution about the inspection / light install. last I remember it was a lifetime inspection in MD unless you get a violation for equipment. I’m not as familiar with light stuff in MD, just remember a nightmare inspection saga for a late 70’s Blazer - it was only 10 years old or so, I’d done some work to get it ready to inspect and it was all kinds of a PITA. just know what you can run, and don’t make yourself a target for traffic cops.

Tow strap is a good idea if you’re off roading. 1 is none, 2 is one. I’ve seen a lot of folks carrying a high lift jack, one guy on here even made a winch mount for the front tow hook...

Jumper cables are a no brainer, also a portable / roadside tire inflator would be good. maybe a tire plug kit. I’ve found that the more expensive my tires, the more likely they get holed. The first car I had with low profile tires had 6 plugs in the first SET of tires. All nails.

dash cam is not a bad idea, I have been using a go pro but plenty of good options out there.

Gun safe: nah, you’re in MD so no need for that. :slap:

If you get tie downs for the bed, I’d also add a camper shell with no windows, zip ties, duct tape, a ski mask and gloves to your cargo. ... you never know.
:biggrin:

good luck!