Gen 2 What To Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
1) stubby
2) mud flaps
3) forscan
4) pedal commander
5) 24x16s on 37s
6) fiberwerx +4s (Carbon Fiber gigantor fenders)
7) rock lights
8) steekers (LOTS OF STICKERS, especially ones that say "Raptor" or "FoPo"
9) ADD honey badger bumpers and chase rack
10) big brake kit
11) KC roof lights
12) Fabtech 4" lift
13) bump stops for towing of course
14) lots of carbon fiber vinyl wherever you see fit
15) blow off valve
16) SPD adapters
17) straight pipes
18) cold air intake

If you're looking for a real answer my build thread is in my signature.

Highlighted the key features of a good build. Make sure on those big wheels to get an equally big offset so they really fill the Carbon Fiber fenders too.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wheels, tires, lighting, and onboard compressor system. That is all you really need to be safe off-road.

Sorry MGD. No Raptor NEEDS wheels, tires for "safe off roading." And lights are only needed if you're running at NIGHT.

The OBA (On Board Air) is always a good idea. But I'd go with a CO2 tank and have a portable compressor backup.

Here is what one of the vendors recommended.
1. Coil Spring Collar
2. Deaver Springs
3. Bump System
4. Tires
5. Bed Rack
6. Bumper
7. Lights

Budget is around $10K.

Of course a VENDOR made these recommendations.

You guys can mod all you want but:

1. Do you have EXPERIENCE off road? In a Raptor?
2. Do you push your Raptor so hard that the factory suspension can't keep up?

I'd love to see you guys explain WHY you're doing the mods you're doing and how much of that is based on actual NEED. But I suspect most won't go there and very few will and they're the ones that push their trucks enough to justify spending on these kinds of mods.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To do what, exactly and with what budget?

I'm not anti-mod but there's a big difference between WANT & NEED in regard to modifying a Raptor.

Most WANT a lot more than NEED.

If you're wanting to mod then do what you want :mwah1:

If you need it that's a different story IMO.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I'm not anti-mod but there's a big difference between WANT & NEED in regard to modifying a Raptor.

Most WANT a lot more than NEED.

If you're wanting to mod then do what you want :mwah1:

If you need it that's a different story IMO.

I'm with you on this one, it's fun to put parts on, but it can get you in trouble.

Suspension mods is a prime example. I've done a ton of driving on stock 2.5s, modified 2.5s and then 3.0s and my conclusion is that if you don't already understand the truck's limitations from experience exceeding the stock shocks' limitations, you're in no way ready to run with a more capable shock. This logic works with Gen2s as well.

The thing with the Raptor is that it is extremely confidence inspiring and gives you no real sense of its limit until you've got said limit in your rear view mirror. So, with stock suspension this'll happen at lets say 40-60mph. With upgraded suspension the same discovery that you've passed your limits will happen at 60-80mph and the consequences will be much more severe.

If people would run their trucks and get a sense of how they perform, where the limits really are, then add mods based on that experience, they'd save money and get a truck that will be tailored to what they need. Honestly as a starter list I'd do two things and two things only.

A) Perch collar/CAS/Icon thingy/etc... just because it gets the front end up a little.
B) Bumpstop kit to prevent damage.

Other than that, go rip on it and see where you need to improve.

I just gave legit advice...that feels weird.

OP
OP
Clockton

Clockton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Here is the short term plan.

King 3.0
Rogue UCA w HEIMS
Deaver +3
SVC Bumpstop
Simple Bypass Rack

RaptorMaryland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am buying my first Truck period, and all my cars have been 4 or 5 speed manuals.

My first upgrades will be below $2K

1. Bed spray - done as the Ford dealer threw that in for free
2. Mud Flaps - leaning toward Husky at $90 for 4
3. Bed cover - leaning for a Truxedo Truxport Cover for $289
4. Lights - leaning for 3 on each side, one a spot, one a Legal Fog, one a Driving for around $900 I think

so that at $1400

5. Spray the bottom with amsoil heavy duty metal protector - $12 a can, need to know how many to buy
6. Need a tow - looking to get 2 heavy duty 30 ft tow lines from amazon, what do you have in your truck to tow?
7. jumper Cables - take a set I have from the retired Honda 5 speed

research areas:
Dash camera - motion based to take pictures of folks messing with truck, and when driving to take pictures of cars in front

Wheel Locks and tail gate lock? Do I really need them?

Gun safe in truck?

Tie downs for Bed?

What else do you all carry? Any tools? Portable Lights?