Durbin's Raptor Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdurbin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Raptor1.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of build threads, however, I do believe they serve a purpose. As other members have said, they help influence new owners and give them ideas on where to take their projects. That's the plus. The downside? So much work.
So... Here we go. I purchased a 2013 Race Red Raptor SuperCrew on 26 November 2013. Currently using the truck as a daily driver in Central Texas (Killeen/Ft Hood area) but will purchasing a smaller economic car to actually drive daily in Mar/Apr. At that point, the fun with this truck will really begin.:smile:

Time for the lists:

Exterior Mods:

Line-X Spray in Bedliner
3M Tint: Front is 25% and Rear is 15%

Interior Mods:
Sub Mod

Suspension Mods:

Soon!

Engine Mods:
SW Exhaust With Chambered Mufflers

Future Mods:
(Not in order of precedence)
Mid-Perch Adjustment
Bump Stop Kit
Spindle Gussets
New Front/Rear Bumpers (Looking at ADD Race or LEX)
Bed Rack
5Star Tuner
aFe Cold Air
30' and 40" Light Bars Behind Grille
Dash Cam
Oil Catch Can
Whipple Supercharger? :worthy:

Next posts will have sub mod pictures and info, exhaust, etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cdurbin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing your build! I live in Killeen too, lots of raptors around here.

I honestly only ever saw one out on West Fort Hood. I bought this one and the wife and I have seen quite a few. Followed a late model to work the other day. My wife had somebody in an early model Blue Raptor race her the other day when she took the truck to work. And just tonight I had a Red late model park across from me at the Clear Creek PX.

Can't wait to see your build come together! Also, THANK YOU for your service!

Much appreciated. In regards to the build, I really can't wait to get the exhaust I ordered from you in. :smile:
Unfortunately, currently working on remodeling a bathroom too or I would've ordered QUITE a bit more.

Nice!!! Subbed!

Much appreciated.

-Corey

OP
OP
C

cdurbin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SUB MOD: So today I tore out the stock sub and decided to perform the 2.99 Sub Mod which can be found here. If you read through the thread you'll see mixed reviews on whether or not it actually helps anything. Well for $2.99 I figured it was worth a shot so I decided to do it.

20131214_150653x.jpg

So this picture obviously shows the stock sub box. There are three 8mm bolts holding the stock box down. Ensure to also un-clip the electrical wires before you yank up on the box.

20131214_151233x.jpg

Once you lift out the stock sub-box, there are eight Phillips screws holding the sub to the box, and also one 8mm bolt on the backside. As you can see in my picture, I ALSO had to remove one screw securing the bracket to the box at the bottom of the picture.

20131214_151312x.jpg

So I was a bit surprised to see once I removed the sub, that there was absolutely NOTHING in the box. Kind of dumb if you ask me. Well I went to work filling the box up. I made sure to not PACK any filling in there, but to just loosely fill the space. Unfortunately I forgot to get a picture of it before I put the sub and box back together. Once I had it all back together I went ahead and decided to see how it sounded.

Impressions: Unfortunately the Sony system is the not the greatest. The Alpine system that was in my '12 Ram was MUCH better in my opinion. However, I immediately noticed an improvement in low end bass BEFORE messing with any settings. Well I eventually got the settings where I wanted them. Once the wife got home from work, we took the truck out to get some food. She actually asked me if I had installed new speakers.

Overall: It WILL NOT make it sound like the system these trucks should've came with, but for $2.99 it's worth doing. You actually get some low end after this mod.

-Corey

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cdurbin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So as promised, here is some pictures of the exhaust I received from SW and Chris at Freedom Motorsports.

box.jpg

This is by far one of the best catback exhaust kits I've actually installed. Very well designed and went together pretty easily. There were a FEW issues which in my opinion could be caused by one thing. 1.) I had a HORRIBLE time trying to get both tails to line up. It really didn't matter what I did, the rear tail would be .25 to .5 inches lower. Essentially, I ended up removing one bracket and taking a 8lbs sledge and slightly modified the brackets (PICTURE 2). Unfortunately, I don't have comparison pictures. Even with this modification, and playing with the pipes I had CONSTANT contact between the two pipes right around the last bend before the tips. I ended up taking a ratchet strap and attaching it to a tree. I tightened it down until it tweaked the pipe and I was good to go (PICTURE 3). It is my opinion that one of the bends was a degree or two off. Considering the tails are roughly 3.5-4ft long, this would account for the rubbing. The tips once I was finished. (PICTURE 4.)

Mufflers_To_Y.jpg

Rear_Brackets.jpg

Pipe_Clearance.jpg

Tips.jpg

Here's a video of a cold start. Sorry about it being tilted to the side.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45784246/Cold Startup.mp4

In the next 1-2 weeks I'll be writing up an actual step-by-step guide on installing this exhaust. Hopefully it'll be something better than what's included with the kit.

-Corey

OP
OP
C

cdurbin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Luckily I have a decent paying job. The wife works. And to top it off shes onboard with modifying the raptor. Heck, she even helped install the exhaust without complaint.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk