Dude's 2017 Build Thread!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
dude1782

dude1782

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also, the bump stops were badass for the short period of time I got to use them. I definitely gave them a workout for that hour or so before my wheel came apart and it bottomed so much cleaner. They actually made a bigger difference than I was expecting.

Deezel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That happened with walker evans wheels!?

I love the look of those wheels but I've always thought that curved spoke design just has a ton of stress concentrations.. However, I'm sure it's possible to destroy any wheel under the right (or wrong) conditions.

Do you have any more close up pics of where the wheel failed? Was it at the rim/spoke junction or actually just the rim coming apart itself?

Also could you have had something rubbing on the ID of the wheel that gouged it, later causing the failure? I had this happen on another vehicle, I think a wheel weight got trapped btwn the rim and the lower ball joint. I scrapped the wheel out because I was worried it would come apart later :jawdrop:.

Anyhow, sounds like everyone was safe so props for using your truck as it should be!

Last edited:
OP
OP
dude1782

dude1782

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I love the look of those wheels but I've always thought that curved spoke design just has a ton of stress concentrations.. However, I'm sure it's possible to destroy any wheel under the right (or wrong) conditions.

Do you have any more close up pics of where the wheel failed? Was it at the rim/spoke junction or actually just the rim coming apart itself?

Also could you have had something rubbing on the ID of the wheel that gouged it, later causing the failure? I had this happen on another vehicle, I think a wheel weight got trapped btwn the rim and the lower ball joint. I scrapped the wheel out because I was worried it would come apart later :jawdrop:.

Anyhow, sounds like everyone was safe so props for using your truck as it should be!

As much as I'd like to say it happened when I was doing something cool, that wasn't the case. I was just cruising around JV and hadn't been there too long when it happened.

My dad said the tire wasn't even punctured, so I'm not even 100% sure what happened to cause it to go into the rock. That means the wheel came apart at normal pressure when it happened.

I never got a chance to take a look at the truck or the wheel and tire since I had to leave it in AZ so I can't say myself.

zvIIeKt.jpg
T04FaZb.jpg

Kamil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome thread went thru the entire thing just now. That is one hell of a life for this truck, being put to use what it was built for.

Thanks for sharing