Changes?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12951
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlternativeOffroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Rick, based what I've seen (and many friends that used to have them) in the desert...those roof bars are less than ideal in the dust. The light reflects back off the dust and into your eyes. YMMV.

Well what I learned from Baja, avoid driving into dust and yes even with what I have now, I know all about the dust reflection. Even amber lights can't cut through it.

I would like more distance than what I have and from what I am finding out, Baja Designs can do that.

I was concerned with the roof brackets breaking when going off-road and that has been my hesitation. Thoughts on that?

MajorAR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Haven't seen any broken brackets thus far. I think those roof light bars have been out long enough that most manufacturers have broken the code on mounting solutions.

Headed down to Baja myself on the 17th

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are on target about dust, fog, snow dust. Any and all lighting produces glare mounted high or low in the conditions. Low is better in some situations. I have not run any lights above the cowling in a long time, they are cool up on the roof when it is clear but the glare on the hood is tough and that is why we see the blacked out hoods. Black on the hood is functional not just for a mean look.

I just mounted a set of Baja XL racer editions on hood mounts and they are a big improvment over my 4.5" vision x hid, more lumens and more light at distance. Also the focus and shape of the beam is better. I am very impressed and may replace my 21" bar with Baja stuff as well. I think that Baja, vision x and KC are my top picks right now. Depending on where you mount and the size of light can dictate what brand you go with.

I am very impressed the the Baja XL racer and the XL 80. I have not looked into their bars yet. I love the KC Carbon pods but they are crazy money and very big. A set of XL racers on hood mounts and 3 or 4 XL 80s or a Onx bar on or in a bumper would most likely be all the white light you would ever need them some type of amber for dust and fog (blue in snow).

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
A few things I'd like to add:

1. The reason for the rivets is that there simply is not another way to tighten the bolts once the holes are drilled into A-pillar. You've got the thing cosmetic metal on the outside that's painted and then you drill into a second layer of much stronger metal inside the A-pillar. It's inside of that secondary layer in which the three rivets (per side) are properly secured.

2. As far as your glare concerns, you have two things working to your advantage. The first is that you're choosing to go with the Racer Edition light from Baja Designs. Now, while the 60" Arc Racer Edition is only available in a Driving/Combo pattern, 2/3 of the light will be in the 6° spot pattern which will cause minimal glare on your windshield/hood. Also, you do have the matte black hood wrap to reduce any glare from the Wide Driving pattern on the remaining 1/3 of your lights.

3. Are you going to keep you bed cover? If not, a set of bed mounts in the corners of your bed closest to your cab will be an easy way to retain your Baja Designs Squadrons.