Changes?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12951
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

Thinking of changing things up on my raptor. Looking for thoughts of others?

Currently have a light rack that has 3 12" Whelens and two side Baja Designs squadrons with two rear facing blackhawks in amber film. It has an actuator but currently disabled and up all the time. I've also mounted a 2.5 fire extinguisher to the side of it. I've modified the base of it with heavier gauge metal and using 3 bolts on each side. It holds up great, even to Baja with absolutely no issues.

I also have the TMX Covert bed rack that can be completely covered.

7a89b7f9e964d8a6120e8a77c7982dce.jpg

9af9b5818fec6533c2f97481133334c7.jpg

dd274e0466cae6b714df9afd12272e9e.jpg

I am considering removing both of these. And replacing with a 60" Baja Designs Arc Racer above the windshield. I already purchased the Rogue brackets. And getting something like the Outlaw Alpha One rack (perhaps somewhat customized) with the Desert Defense cover. I would still need some rear facing ambers and would like to retain the squadrons I already have for side lighting but not sure. I am going to replace the Rogue 40" in the bumper with a Baja Designs 40". My goal is to replace any lights with Baja Design. I feel these will give me more light at further distances, the 40" and 30" in my grill will light up the close distance.

Plan on help funding the changes with the take offs that I sell.

Worthy changes, Yay or Nay?

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What are your feelings on the covert bed rack? What do you like and don't like for you needs? I like the idea of that rack very much. I carry to much stuff on most runs but I need a more organized and easier/ safer way to carry it. Also I don't need or want to carry 3/4 of the stuff on a daily bases.

If you take out the tire is it flat or does the mount stick up?

By the way it looks like you are having a lot of fun!

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

What are your feelings on the covert bed rack? What do you like and don't like for you needs? I like the idea of that rack very much. I carry to much stuff on most runs but I need a more organized and easier/ safer way to carry it. Also I don't need or want to carry 3/4 of the stuff on a daily bases.

If you take out the tire is it flat or does the mount stick up?

By the way it looks like you are having a lot of fun!

I like the rack but thinking with two upright tires, would actually give me an extra spare if I still have one underneath. I am not planning on dove tailing and removing that spare for clearance. I haven't ran into an issue and perhaps if I ever do, I might rethink that.

I like that the covert rack can carry a large toolbox and I really don't need all that room. It carries everything you need its just a little more involved to get to things because of the tire in front of those things. I did cut the bar in front of the toolbox so it's easier to get out and that helps. Looking at other trucks, just starting to like two exposed tires more and more. I've modified the roll-x cover and it stays on through everything I've been though. I think everyone at Baja was surprised it held.

Removing the tire still leaves the mount sticking up. If I don't have any offroading planned, I do remove it.

Mariner

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The upgrade to all baja lights would be nice. I currently have two, one of which is a 40 inch Arc Racer and it's incredible. I imagine a 60" arc would be even more insane.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you considered a top rack? Gobi makes a great looking rack and would make it easier to have all the light you want. Maybe would move that windshield mounted light back a little and help eliminate some noise. Just an idea I wanted to throw out there......

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Have you considered a top rack? Gobi makes a great looking rack and would make it easier to have all the light you want. Maybe would move that windshield mounted light back a little and help eliminate some noise. Just an idea I wanted to throw out there......

Don't you have to drill into the top the roof? Not sure how they hold up to offroad at speed and if rough. Not sure if that's the look that I am trying to go for. I am a little hesitant on the rogue windshield mounts because they use rivets and the one person at Baja that had a set of Rough Country ended up breaking and light hit his windshield.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't you have to drill into the top the roof? Not sure how they hold up to offroad at speed and if rough. Not sure if that's the look that I am trying to go for. I am a little hesitant on the rogue windshield mounts because they use rivets and the one person at Baja that had a set of Rough Country ended up breaking and light hit his windshield.

There are several guys on here that have them and off road with them. I'm going to install mine when I finally have the time. I'm pretty sure @t_j has a roof rack (not a Gobi, though) and has had no issues with it. They can be mounted securely enough. I know there was someone from ROC that had/has one and those guys go hard off road.

Looks to be a great foundation for lights, and the added area to store off road gear is a big bonus for us.

It was just an idea to get you thinking.

Good luck with your final choice.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are several guys on here that have them and off road with them. I'm going to install mine when I finally have the time. I'm pretty sure @t_j has a roof rack (not a Gobi, though) and has had no issues with it. They can be mounted securely enough. I know there was someone from ROC that had/has one and those guys go hard off road.

Looks to be a great foundation for lights, and the added area to store off road gear is a big bonus for us.

It was just an idea to get you thinking.

Good luck with your final choice.

I have a smittybilt rack that has been line-x'd, it's great once you get over drilling holes in your roof. Does affect MPG a little but who's really looking at that. Mine has been on some fairly rough trips fully loaded up with gear (tables, chairs, dog crate, cloths) and some high speed stuff all without issue. I have been checking the well nuts after every trip and replaced a couple but nothing that would have caused an issue on a trip.

MajorAR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rick, based what I've seen (and many friends that used to have them) in the desert...those roof bars are less than ideal in the dust. The light reflects back off the dust and into your eyes. YMMV.