Bstoner's build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
So I have decided that it is time to share all of my different setups and what I have found that works and doesn't work...maybe I can help someone not spend as much money testing the water. I have reached the point that if I was to buy a new Raptor tomorrow I would know exactly what I would do to make it fit me and my use for the truck.

For a little background...I got this truck with the intention of never having to do anything to it. If that is you let me warn you now, you probably will end up spending more than you want!!! My goal from the beginning was to make it a complete bolt-on truck that I have the ability to put back to stock if I don't like something or need to trade it in one day. I want the ability to use my entire bed for motorcycles, camping gear or work. I have to be able to tow 6,000 lbs short distances. I need to be able to carry 500+ lbs in gear while camping and not have an ill affect on handling off-road. So with that being said here is the many different setups I have tried...

I would also like the thanks the guys at RGP, Deaver and ADD for helping me out and teaching me all this stuff along the way!

Light bar - I thought this would be my only mod...(12,000 miles)
IMG_2796.jpg

Middle perch - needed a little more clearance up front and wanted to level out the front. (15,000 miles)
CIMG0006.jpg
CIMG0002.jpg
Middle Perch w/ stock springs
CIMG0001.jpg
The added clearance helped quite a bit. I ended up blowing out the front shocks (35,000 miles) and having Ford replace them under warranty. When Ford replaced them they were put back on the stock setting. By that time I had Deaver +1 pack installed which lowered the rear. I liked the feel and decided to leave it.

Stock rear springs
CIMG0049.jpg

+1 Deaver pack (18,000 miles)
CIMG0050.jpg
CIMG0052.jpg
Bump w/ no stike pad
IMAG0021.jpg
Middle w/ Deaver +1
CIMG0051.jpg

ADD Bumpers/Sliders (Middle Perch/+1 Deavers) (32,000 miles)
IMAG0469.jpg
IMAG0473.jpg
IMAG0472.jpg

RGP Frame/Bumpstop Kit w/ +1 Deavers (55,000 miles)
IMAG0479.jpg
IMAG0480.jpg
IMAG0433.jpg
IMAG0445.jpg
Upon install I discovered (with the help of RGP)
-Too much uptravel w/out the strike pad for stock jounce bump. Led to dirt being forced into seal of rear shock. Caused a few issues that required me to replace the rear shocks.
-The shock was acting as the bumpstop.

This setup worked OK but the +1 Deavers didn't allow for much up travel.

RGP UCA (56,000 miles)
IMAG0499.jpg
stock arm:
IMAG0497-1.jpg
I wasn't sure what to expect when I got this but the front end is so solid now!! All the slop in the steering wheel is gone and there is no violence on hard braking that I had learned to expect. By far one of the best mods! If I could do one thing on a new truck I would have this at the top of the list. Not only that but that thing looks beautiful!! Like all the stuff RGP has!!!

Just had Deaver rework the spring pack to get me some more lift (pics to come) (57,000 miles)
IMAG0505.jpg
IMAG0506.jpg
IMAG0508.jpg

Next on the list

RGP spacer kit to raise the front end and retain the stock ride in the front. Help keep the front end up on rebound.
RGP Tie Rods

more to come...

Last edited:

whisler151

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great looking truck. How did you like the Nitto Trail Grapplers? Any reason you went to the Generals afterwards?

OP
OP
bstoner59

bstoner59

Reaction score
Great looking truck. How did you like the Nitto Trail Grapplers? Any reason you went to the Generals afterwards?

Thank you! The Nittos were nice. I had them for about 40,000 miles and they still had about 30% tread left. They got really good traction off-road to the point it was hard to break the truck loose on high speed stuff. I heard good things about the Generals and diem't really need a mud terrain tire. Figured I would try them out. I like the Generals. A little looser on dirt but they are going to wear out a little faster.

LVdezertdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
B,

Thanks for the documentation of this. It will save some new guys some time and money!!! I can't wait to see it in action.

BORG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome build bstoner59! :peace:

I went with the National Springs as recommended by RPG and this stage 3 set-up is sick. My front is on the middle perch and the new rear springs are a +1 ... I believe. Anyway, my truck sits perfectly flat now and I couldn't be more happy with the ride and look.

Can't wait to receiving my RPG UCA and tie-rods ... :waytogo:

Please keep us posted on your progress and user experience! BTW, did you add those cable-ties to your air-bumps or did they come that way from RPG?

OP
OP
bstoner59

bstoner59

Reaction score
Awesome build bstoner59! :peace:

I went with the National Springs as recommended by RPG and this stage 3 set-up is sick. My front is on the middle perch and the new rear springs are a +1 ... I believe. Anyway, my truck sits perfectly flat now and I couldn't be more happy with the ride and look.

Can't wait to receiving my RPG UCA and tie-rods ... :waytogo:

Please keep us posted on your progress and user experience! BTW, did you add those cable-ties to your air-bumps or did they come that way from RPG?

The Nationals are awesome! They were designed to work with the RPG kit from the beginning. Since I had the Deavers I decided to stay with those. We will see how they work after a little tweaking here and there.

You are going to love the UCA's and the tie-rods! Make sure to give us all your feedback and some pics.

We put the zip ties on after install to see if I was OK on pressure. I had a trip with a few hundred pounds in the bed and i wanted to make sure I wasn't bottoming out the bumps.

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We put the zip ties on after install to see if I was OK on pressure. I had a trip with a few hundred pounds in the bed and i wanted to make sure I wasn't bottoming out the bumps.

What PSI are you running on the bumps. I just dropped mine from 200 to 100. That was my last attempt to smooth out the rear. Didn't work.... Shocks are coming off and being re-valved.

OP
OP
bstoner59

bstoner59

Reaction score
What PSI are you running on the bumps. I just dropped mine from 200 to 100. That was my last attempt to smooth out the rear. Didn't work.... Shocks are coming off and being re-valved.

I think it's 180. Who's doing the work on your shocks? Suspension is tough to get right but once it's dialed it will be sweet!

You know after seeing those 26's I might take this truck in the street queen direction...slow my roll a bit :005: