2013 Bullrun Rally - 2012 Raptor SCrew Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Since this rally is not the "normal" environment for a Ford Raptor. I figured I would document the build process and use the greatest resource anywhere (FRF collective) to work through problems/issues that may arise.

Knowing the limitations of the Raptor (100 mph top sustained speed, and aerodynamics of a barn door). We won't be able to outrun or keep up with 90% of the field. So we are the underdogs in top speed and quickness department.

So, we are going to have to use the Raptors strengths to our advantage.

Long fuel range
Offroad abilities
"Stealthy" not flashy like the rest of the field

Planned mods so far:

Fuel Range:
The SCrew with 36 gallon tank has a pretty impressive range stock. Over 21,000 miles I have averaged 450-500 miles on a tankful.. Which is decent and might gain us a 50-100 mile advantage.. Good, but not good enough, double or triple the range would be perfect. Since the route is unknown, i have to assume we are going through New York or other places that are strict about carrying fuel containers and such in bed.
What I am planning is a bronco 2 between frame rails tank where the spare tire is normally located. This would get me an extra 20 gallons or 200miles or so. In bed tank can be larger and hidden under bed cover. But how to plumb this tank into the existing tank without causing the computer to flip out. National springs have already been made to carry an additional 700lbs in the bed.

Offroad:
Since the Raptor is superior off road compared to most of the low profile expensive cars. We will be able to use the gravel roads and places they would dream of going. Which should allow us a major advantage of shortcuts and staying away from LEOs chasing down the exotics..

Stealth:
Thanks to Keith (wiz1500) and his retroreflective wrap. We are thinking about black wrap with black retroreflective sponsor logos and vehicle numbers. This way it looks like just a black f150 until direct light or camera flash.. I even thought about putting a contractors ladder rack with ladders on it to make it even more stealthy..

(more later)

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Electronic gear:
This is going to be a very important part.. Having several redundant navigation systems. Couple of Ipads running navigation and waze.. ****** 9500ci to help avoid extra tickets, which is going to be difficult. Since previous bullruns several participants got "dwb" (driving while bullrun" for 5mph over and such.

Getting a ezpass so we do not have to fumble for change at tollbooths or stop for them.

A scanner to listen to all the radio traffic, so we can avoid any major bullrun police activities..

Sourced a Uniden BCD996XT digital police scanner and Uniden BC RH96 remote head.. This way I can conceal the scanner in center console with icom radio, and have remote head accessible on passenger.

With all the electronic gear, adding at least 1500watt inverter or bigger to help with the load. Also upgrading the alternator to a larger 270 amp to help with the drain.

For the wifi, I have contacted Autonet WiFi for mobile high-speed Internet access.

Headlights are being upgraded to Raptor retrofit 50watt FXR bi-xenon headlights.. Adding some additional lighting two clusters of white Whelan TIR3 "burst" lights an array of six stealthily embedded in the grill. To help encourage slow moving traffic..

Brakes:
The Raptor brakes are okay, but this event okay brakes are not going to be good enough.
Upgrading to crossdrilled and slotted rotors and ebc green stuff pads. Along with replacing stock rubber brake lines with SDHQ brake lines.. This should help with slowing the 3 ton beast quickly without having to increase rim size to accommodate brembo brakes..

Gears:
Since I am not concerned about running over 100mph, but getting to 100mph as quickly as possible. I am talking to SDHQ about getting either 4.56 or 4.88 gears.. Yes, fuel economy might take a little hit (that is what the extra tank is for) but it will allow for better use of the engines power band..

Thought about adding a train horn for added get the hell out of my way, since Raptor stock horn is a little weak. With adding this, will also adding onboard air system...

Last edited:

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it will fit or if you want more fuel but, on my old 96 F-series I installed a regular size Bronco tank to replace the small tank in the back of the truck. Its a 33-gallon tank... Would give you 36 + 33 gallons... Nice 69 number ha ha

FUEL TANK, GALVANIZED STEEL, SILVER, 33 GALLONS/125 LITERS --31.88 in. L x 22.25 in. W x 15.75 in. H;

Bronco Fuel Tank - Auto Parts Warehouse

Last edited:

DirtNasty

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You NEED to make it look like a work truck or maybe low key and put a camper shell on it with really really tinted windows on the bed. (stash more gas/etc back there)

That would be AWESOME given the type of folks who roll up to that event.

Also make sure you get all your coms, laptop mounts, AC inverters, tablet mounts, software, etc. sorted out. You should be rocking a scanner/radio as well for good measure. I would think about a high end ****** + v1, "parking distance sensors", for some extra situational awareness.

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You NEED to make it look like a work truck or maybe low key and put a camper shell on it with really really tinted windows on the bed. (stash more gas/etc back there)

That would be AWESOME given the type of folks who roll up to that event.

Also make sure you get all your coms, laptop mounts, AC inverters, tablet mounts, software, etc. sorted out. You should be rocking a scanner/radio as well for good measure. I would think about a high end ****** + v1, "parking distance sensors", for some extra situational awareness.

I am mounting up scanner and I am getting ****** 9500ci from the car stereo company.. Along with a couple of Ipads and such for backup navigation..

Chris's FX4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^^^ This, IMO.

Put a rack on top of the camper shell, and then maybe one of those ski luggage carriers. I'd probably want something more aerodynamic than a ladder up there.

DirtNasty

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am mounting up scanner and I am getting ****** 9500ci from the car stereo company.. Along with a couple of Ipads and such for backup navigation..

Yeah there are lots of apps that you can use for radio scanning via the net, i would also make sure you have two "hockey puck" cell based internet devices from different carriers.

(att and verizon)

That way if one drops signal you have a shot with the other one, since the internet will become your single biggest advantage if you do things right. (live traffic updates via google, crowd sourced info on road conditions, etc. Hell you could even use this forum to potentially coordinate "response" to certain types of "events" that happen during this effort.

(pm me for more ideas, most of which i wouldnt want publicly posted)

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not just do a camper shell or cover like Dirty Nasty said and put a fuel cell in the bed. It would be hidden then. You could put a t in the filler neck and run a hose down to it from the cell and let it gravity fill. Just need an electric operated valve to flip it open from the cab.