Traction Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
Yeah, mine locks up all the time when I am in sand or dirt. I never have problems, rain or snow, getting traction and you're just talking about when the ground is 'wet'? I don't know what you're doing, but you're doing it wrong.

You do not want to use 4HI on pavement.
You do not want to use E-Locker on pavement.

Just drive.

I agree, you must be doing something wrong. The traction control should stop ALL wheel spin immediately. The rear e locker shouldn't work over 20mph anyway, unless your in ORM which you DONT want to use on the street.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, mine locks up all the time when I am in sand or dirt. I never have problems, rain or snow, getting traction and you're just talking about when the ground is 'wet'? I don't know what you're doing, but you're doing it wrong.

You do not want to use 4HI on pavement.
You do not want to use E-Locker on pavement.

Just drive.
What's wrong with 4HI on pavement?

SoSmoked

changes his exhaust setup more than his underwear
Reaction score
My experience has been that the traction control will stop all wheel spin however the truck can still slide left or right in the back, due to the wet surface

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The front and rear will bind up since there is no center diff
I'm not quite understanding this but I do appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

My understanding from this is that any sort of 4 wheel drive should be avoided while on pavement?? I don't understand how the front and rears binding or even what that means but I'd definitely like some more insight into this.

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
When you turn, the front tires are going faster than the rears. Its like how when you lock the rear and turn, one tire turns faster than the other. Same thing with the front and rear. The front will fight the back.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When you turn, the front tires are going faster than the rears. Its like how when you lock the rear and turn, one tire turns faster than the other. Same thing with the front and rear. The front will fight the back.
Understood... the LP560-4 has this problem as well. Does it do any sort of damage to the drivetrain? Such as extra strain or anything?

And might this issue be resolved with the addition of the 2012 front torsen diff.?

DEADEYE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only time it has been a problem here was at 55 or so coming off a clover leaf on wet roads and I was drifting before I knew it and I was like he'll yah.
I was in sport mode and diggin it.

Can't make this shit up !

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
Understood... the LP560-4 has this problem as well. Does it do any sort of damage to the drivetrain? Such as extra strain or anything?

And might this issue be resolved with the addition of the 2012 front torsen diff.?

it causes a lot of unnecessary strain. 6000lbs on top of a binding drive system, it may not end well. If snow/ice cover all the street, you can run 4WD everywhere without an issue though. Wet roads, not so much.
The torsen is a locker for the front. It wouldn't have anything to do with the drive binding. The only way to fix it is to have a center diff, like a land rover.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is this information disclosed in the owner's manual? It sounds pretty serious. On the other hand, my dad's LP560-4 is forever AWD so we have this strain 24/7. I wonder how long it'll be until we start noticing premature signs of wearing.